Prologue

I stand in front of the body length mirror in my room brushing my ginger colored curls, I marvel at the sight of my orchid open back gown with pearls shaped in an L roaming about my curves. 

  I take off my glasses and inhale deeply the aromatic scent of the gifted perfume,

"I look so different," I praise myself, swallowing the spit I had unknowingly stored in my mouth.

    "Yes you do," My mom said from the doorway, she was looking at me through her red flashy glasses with Mr Steve behind her and I couldn't help but flash a smile,

  "Thanks mom." I looked away from her to the mirror to brush my curls like they were precious gems needed to be treated with care.

  "Need me to braid those strands for you?" Mr Steve asked, making a weaving gesture with his hand.

   "No thanks, dad." I tiredly forced a smile.

"You sure? I could gel those edges to." He gave a fatherly laugh, one a dad would make after saying a hilariously lame dad joke.

  Mom snorted, "You can't even shave your own hair talk less of braiding, Steve." she playfully tapped his hair and rolled her eyes.

     "Shave? I'm bald!" Dad cried, snatching my mom's hand and warning her not to mess with his neatly polished scalp.

  "Ha, whatever Steve," Mom yanked her hand back and turned to me, "greet Marcus there." she stopped the teasing and gave a teacherly smile which I don't think was the best for the occasion but hey, my mom harbors good intentions.

   ***

 I was walking arm in arm down the aisle with Marcus for prom, my heart was drumming triumphantly has he gazed intently into my eye and he whispered ' I love you', something I never thought was possible considering we were so status apart but cupid proved me wrong, teaching me that love had no limit.

  Today was my happy day but it wasn't always like that, at times, I still remember when we met and how chemistry brought us indestructibly together. Join me as I recollect those memories of the past that led to this ignited spark of the future.