Library Shenanigans

Typical of my school, Gregory High to start the day with a 20 mins reading session in the library and although we were being graded and given extra points from this bonus class, some students just never want to take the opportunity.

    "Yesterday Ally, I saw Marcus' mom!" A girl squealed loudly, earning the frown of our ELA teacher and a glare from me.

   How could she be so delusional, thinking she met his mom. For as far as I knew, his mom was away from the city for a while and be back shortly and here this girl was lying about meeting Marcus' mom.

  Marcus' mom was some sort of a celebrity because of her unique attitude and relaxing charisma, I had heard from my reliable source and bestie, Deborah, but I didn't see it with my eyes because I was sick on the day she paid a visit to the school.

  Enraged by the continued bickering of the annoying girl and her friend, Ally, I kicked Deborah's leg from under the table to gain her attention.

   She answered with a shout of pain, getting her a straight yellow card from our teacher,

"Deborah Halls!" Our ELA teacher called out in her thick irish accent, "behave or detention!"

   I shot Deborah an apologetic look that was met with a scorn, "Eleane, what the hell was that for?" she gave me a dirty stare.

   Fidgeting with my hands, I nervously answered that it was an accident.

"Accident my ass," she whispered, shoving her ring finger in my face, hinting that she wanted to flip me off but couldn't now.

     "Um, sorry?" I bent my neck, sparing her a fake smile.

She took the book in my hand that I was pretending to read and slammed it on the desk, "Dammit Eleane, you're annoying me!"

   "Halls!" Mrs. Eithne shrieked, tired of Deborah's misconduct, "l a s t   w a r n i n g" she spelled the words out, to not only plant fear in Deb but to intimidate the other students.

   The bells rang for morning class and all the students rose up from the chair, tucking the chair under the desk. 

   Mrs. Eithne told all of us to go prepare for our morning English Language and Arts class, everyone except Deborah.

    Outside, I waited for Deborah, putting my ear on the door to see if I could hear anything but the only thing I heard was them giggling like they were old friends. Confused, I blurred out the other gossipers around me to focus my ears on their conversation, only to rehear approaching laughter.

  Shoot, they were coming out. 

I adjusted myself and twinkled by the wall as they came out of the library. There was a tear in Mrs. Eithne's eyes, implying she just had the best conversation of her 20 years stay in this school.

   Mrs. Eithne and Deborah waved goodbye and instantly, Deborah's smile faded as she scowled at me.

  "Deb," I put my hand on her shoulder, putting on my best puppy face, I explain, "I didn't mean to get you in trouble... I just got mad that that girl was talking about my marcy's mom."

   Deborah's expression did a 90 degree, from angry to surprise, "Your Marcy?" she asked, raising a brow in shock, "when did you guys start dating?" 

  Her question sent my heart in a million pieces because in fact, me and Marcus haven't even spoken before, "No... I just thought it was a cool nickname to give."

  I say, looking down at my wiggling feet. Deborah laughed,

"Obviously," she held her stomach while pointing at me with the other hand, "seriously? you and Marcus together? Stupid!" her mouth opened wider and I just stood there, being ridiculed by my own bestie.

  I could have punched her now, after all, I just started online boxing classes on YouTube but I chose not to, because violence is not the way.

    "I knew that was impossible because me and Alan haven't started dating." she stopped, crouching down to catch her breath.

   I chose to take this opportunity to return the flavor by laughing hysterically at her, "You and Alan dating? Impossible! He doesn't even know you!" 

  She glared at me before joining me to erupt in laughter. From someone else's view, we were just two weirdos laughing at the door of the library like hyenas.

     Laughing so loudly, the librarian came out to chase us away. 

Before leaving for our different classes, we recited our oath, "Single but ready to mingle!"

  "Single for how many days?" I ask her,

"Single for approximately six thousand, two hundred and forty seven days." she answered, wrinkling her nose at how pathetic we were both.

   "Same for me," I added, opening my arm for a goodbye hug, "bye Debby, have fun at science class!"

  She hugged me briefly before wishing me the same, then skipping to her class.