Chapter 14

Jordan's POV

It's been 10 days of me and Reneé's newly labeled friendship and it's actually incredible. We've been attached at the hip; there has only been 1 night we didn't hang out.

We just actually return to our respective beds at the end of the night now, which is honestly such a bummer, but I know it's the right thing to do for now.

Reneé also insisted on helping me find a good therapist that specializes in handling grief.

I can't lie though, Reneé's protective instincts came out again and it was the most adorable thing to watch. We met with 8 different therapists and Reneé found a problem with all of them; a few were too old for her taste which made me laugh, a few were too flirty (her jealousy was so hot), and a few 'weren't competent enough'.

She made sure I got the most overqualified therapist possible, it's so sweet how abundantly she cares about improving mental health. It means more to her than it does to me it seems.

Eventually I made an appointment with 34-year-old Dr. Charles Green, PhD (Reneé finally approved of one).

Then we moved onto the next "to do" on the list she made for me.

Furniture shopping.

I tried to go to the store multiple times in the 3 weeks I wasn't speaking with Reneé, but all I managed to get was a Keurig, silverware, a mattress sitting on my floor, and a single blanket over top of it. I'm certainly not proud, but at least I have coffee, a more acceptable bed than the air mattress, and cutlery for my takeout.

In general, I dread shopping of any kind. It's not my fault decisions are so difficult to make, why do I have to be forced to endure such troubling tasks at the mall? Like, I'm just a girl?!!

On the other hand though, Reneé insisted on helping me... I was looking forward to that part.

Renee's POV

It was finally the weekend, meaning day 1 of our mission Jordan deemed 'turn my apartment from squatter to hotter', commenced right as the furniture store opened, 9AM. This time however, we made a list of everything Jordan needed so we're a bit more organized.

That didn't work out as well as we hoped though. At noon we dejectedly went over to the food court for a break, having only acquired a welcome mat. Progress I guess?

"Ok we need a better game plan" I announced as I handed Jordan her burger.

"I say we just face facts, this is hopeless, living out of my boxes isn't so bad" she retorted with a shrug

"JB. Not to get all bitchy mom on you, but you're 24 years old, you could have at least bought hangers"

"That is so not fair! Just the type of hanger itself has me stumped. Velvet hangers are best for my clothes, but plastic hangers are like 800 times cheaper. And don't even get me started on the color options" Jordan exclaimed in defeat

She's so cute when she's frustrated, it made my chest feel warm. I could tell myself over and over again that we are just friends, but I have absolutely no control over my body's reaction to this level of adorable.

"800 times cheaper? Damn, I thought you were supposed to be good with numbers Ms. Finance" I joked

"Ha. Ha." She deadpanned "I think the biggest problem is I'm trying to make sure each area of my place flows together, but I can't settle on 1 overall theme. I want it to be mature, but not boring and old. I want it to be young and edgy, but not childish. I want it to be bright and full of colors, but too much color and it'll look like a damn pride flag exploded" Jordan ranted looking at me with wide eyes, barely breathing, and swinging her arms around to emphasize her point.

I couldn't help but burst out laughing at this. I can so vividly imagine a head-to-toe rainbow apartment – like the way Brittany decorated Blaine and Dave's apartment in Glee. That's a really underrated show, like genuinely so funny and out-of-pocket. I am proclaiming right now that I must rewatch that show ASAP.

I realized I was getting uber distracted and shook my head around a bit to re-focus on the problem at hand. Sometimes it feels like I'm shaking out all the off-topic ADHD thoughts when I do that.

Alright I'm back and Jordan has a point, interior decorating is easier said than done. I got really lucky that my vision for my apartment was so clear and easy to attain. Maybe there's a way around this I fished for ideas hidden in the corners of my brain

Then the obvious solution hit me

"Eureka!" I screeched, making Jordan drop her burger back on the tray in alarm "Why do you have to choose just 1 theme? Who says you can't do a different vibe for each room?"

"Eureka is fucking right! Reneé Rapp you continue to amaze me. That is a perfect plan – it'll be a lot easier than my current system, or lack thereof, and it could still look really cool" Jordan looked around smiling as if she was envisioning her apartment

"Your chaos is cute, embrace it"

She blushed at me with a soft smile.

Jordan's POV

Ugh. Being just friends is incredibly difficult when Reneé is effortlessly dripping sex appeal doing literally anything. It makes it even harder when she says sweet things like that to me.

I know it has to stay this way though, I don't have my first therapy appointment until Monday night and that'll just be the beginning of my healing process. I have so much work to do on myself before I can be with anybody.

So, friends it is, which is confusing because I know we both want to be together, but I refuse to hurt Reneé again like I did last month so I'm not going to rush it.

"Chaos embracing activated, let's go kick some furniture ass!" I pumped a first in the air and lept out of my chair dramatically. I think this may be the very first time I've ever been excited about shopping... everything makes more sense when Reneé is with me.

--,--,--,--

I finally heard the knock on my door I've been awaiting.

"Hey MTV, welcome to my crib" I said as I opened the door with a smile

Reneé just stood there holding take out with an arched eyebrow.

"I'll give you the grand tour, come on in" I exclaimed

Author's Note:

This was one of my favorite chapters to write, it's pure fluff but I love their dynamic and silly side together :)))) 

Deeper shit (and potentially, maybe, definitely some drama) is coming up in the next few chapters to buckle up besties - keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle, it may be a wild ride

Thanks for all the support!