chapter 20

Chapter 20

..Arnav stood on his terrace, the weight of the ransom money on his mind as he gazed out into the night sky. The stars twinkled above him, but their beauty was lost on him as he struggled with the decision that lay before him.

His phone buzzed in his pocket, signaling an incoming call. With a heavy sigh, he pulled it out and saw the number of the blackmailer flashing on the screen. With a mix of dread and determination, he answered the call.

"Arnav, have you made your decision?" a voice on the other end asked coldly.

Arnav hesitated for a moment, his heart racing as he contemplated his next move. Finally, with a voice filled with resignation, he replied, "Yes, I will give you the money. But I want to do it in person, and in cash."

There was a pause on the other end of the line, and then a low chuckle echoed through the phone. "Very well, Arnav. You will receive further instructions on where and when to make the exchange. Do not try anything foolish, or the consequences will be severe."

As the call ended, Arnav felt a knot tighten in his stomach. The path ahead was fraught with danger and uncertainty, but he knew that he had to go through with it in order to protect those he loved. With a heavy heart, he turned to go inside, knowing that the next steps he took could change everything in ways he never could have imagined.

As he walked away from the terrace, a sense of determination settled over him. He would do whatever it took to bring an end to this nightmare, even if it meant putting himself in harm's way. And with that resolve firm in his heart, Arnav began to prepare for the dangerous game that lay ahead.

As the first light of dawn peeked through the curtains, Shashi quietly opened the door to Khushi's room, expecting to see his daughter still fast asleep. But to his surprise, the room was empty. Confusion and worry creased his brow as he searched the room, only to find it deserted.

"Khushi?" he called out softly, hoping she might have gone to the bathroom or to the kitchen for an early morning snack. But there was no response, just a heavy silence that weighed on his heart.

A sense of unease crept over Shashi as he hurriedly checked the other rooms, calling out her name with increasing urgency. Panic began to set in as he realized she was nowhere to be found in the house.

With a racing heart, Shashi dashed to the terrace, his eyes scanning the horizon in desperation. And there, in the soft glow of the morning light, he caught sight of a figure standing near the edge, facing the rising sun.

"Khushi!" he exclaimed, his voice tinged with relief and worry as he rushed towards her. "What are you doing here alone?"

Khushi turned to him, her eyes red-rimmed and cheeks stained with tears. "I couldn't sleep, Papa. I needed some fresh air," she whispered, her voice barely above a hush.

Concern etched on his face, Shashi enveloped his daughter in a comforting embrace. "Don't wander off like this, Khushi. You had me worried sick," he chided gently, his paternal love evident in his tone.

As they stood on the terrace, the first light of the morning enveloping them in its warm embrace, Shashi silently vowed to always watch over his beloved daughter, protecting her from any harm that might come her way.