IX - Margherita and Doughnuts

Petra hates surprises. She decided that she'd ring Levi and find out for herself. She found his memorized number. She made sure to ring twice. The wait felt so long. And topping it off, he didn't even answer. Petra sat back in her pink accent chair in her living room. She threw her head back, frustrated at the sound of the tone.

An exaggerated sigh let her and she reached for her candle lighter. Petra uses a candle lighter when she smokes so that she doesn't burn her acrylic nails. Connie suggested this to her knowing if she knew who he got the idea from she'd be livid. It was Y/N. She used to smoke joints with a cute, glittery candle lighter; Until she disappeared of course.

Petra is a much better person when she is oblivious.

She rang one more time. Ring, she sat up in her seat. Ring, she picked up the phone and put it on speaker. Ring, she placed it back down and leaned over. Ring, "fucking answer..."

"Levi Ackerman speaking, I'm not available at the moment, leave a–"

It went to voicemail. She let out a blood-curdling scream. Her heart was racing, and she began kicking her legs in a fit of panic. She quickly ended the voicemail before it could be sent and walked over to her large bed, feeling a mix of anger and confusion. As she lay down, she noticed her pillows were soaked yet again. She had a habit of changing them almost daily because they were always drenched in tears. Petra was feeling overwhelmed and didn't know what to do next.

Levi was getting all the calls all right. He just silenced his phone as soon as the first call came. He and Y/N were about to eat some Italian food. Unfortunately, Levi left his phone on the table while he went to take a call with his work phone. The phone kept buzzing and ringing, it bothered Y/N so much that she leaned over and took a peek expecting it to be Hange or Connie, the two most shameless people in the world. But she was wrong. "Petra" was plastered over the screen.

Even though she knew she was wrong to look. It was a breach of privacy. But she couldn't help but feel a deep kind of hurt in her heart.

The sight of her calling made her wanna sit right back down. In silence. Pure silence. 'So he's been flirting with me and being so nice and helpful when he has a girl at home.' She thought.  It was just about to be 8 PM. Suddenly, Y/N straightened her posture at the sight of Levi walking back in.

"Sorry," He uttered as he slid back into the booth opposite her. "That was Erwin. Have you chosen what you wanted yet?" He asked. Y/N couldn't resist him. Although she had just seen something pretty heartbreaking, she wanted to answer. His voice was so soft when he talked to her, no harshness or resentment left.

However, her voice would most definitely choke up if she answered. She nodded and picked up the drinks menu trying to avert her gaze the best she could.

Levi's face was in readable. It looked tense? Confused maybe? "What happened?" he asks. He instantly knew something was wrong because of her slight difference in behaviour. Abruptly, 'what happened' started to ring his phone again. He looked between Y/N and the phone and it started adding up. "Look at me," he said. When she did, she watched him power off his phone. "Listen, me and her are completely over. I broke up with her a few weeks ago. It wasn't too serious. My feelings weren't involved and when I told her that she started to post about it on social media."

Y/N listened intensely still looking between him and the drinks menu. She fidgetted slightly at the idea of him having a mainly sexual relationship with her high school rival. It made her cringe a little but she wasn't there. Maybe they were cute.

"And I really thought about it. All my feelings were still with you," His voice got lower. He stared at Y/N's features. "I didn't want to keep putting her through that. Even if she is a bitch to everyone she doesn't know or like. It wasn't too right."