Chapter Two: The Door

It was Saturday morning. Daniel still had some time before going to his new school, which he really didn't want to do at all. It was already giving him a headache - to think about all the things he'd have to face yet again, going into the new environment, and on top of that going to school overall. It was contradicting the things he really wanted to do before going there. He could already think of what he could do with all the things he would find in the basement, maybe he could map out a family tree, learn something about his family's past, or just find an interesting leatherbound book that looks like an ancient grimoire... Thinking about the possibilities for less than one second he decided to drop all the thoughts about Monday closing in.

-Let's pretend it doesn't exist. There is only today and tomorrow. - he thought, and it felt like the best thing he could ever think of. It was the first step to make all the things around his life better. In a new place, he really wanted his life to get better. It was hard, but he had to push through it.

Taking the silver necklaces he walked downstairs for breakfast. Only now in the sunlight did he notice how beautiful it was. Sunrays danced inside while they passed its transparent surface.

His mom prepared scrambled eggs. The easiest meal possible, yet still Daniel's favorite. He could eat it for days on end While Mum and Maise were simply enjoying the meal, Daniel spoke up.

-Look what I found in the basement. - he said, handing his mom the dark box. Putting down her fork she opened it. The pendulum lying on the soft foam beckoned to her as if she remembered it, but it was unclear to her from where. Touching it with her fingertips the crystal suddenly opened like a tiny little book. She looked in shock at what was inside. In silence, Sophia shed a single tear. It was hard to pick up on what this tear was talking about. Was it sadness, was it anger, but after a brief moment she just closed the pendulum, squeezed it in her hand, and asked.

-You found it in the basement, right?

-Yes, there is so much more...

-Don't you ever go there again. - she stated firmly.

-Why? - the statement startled Daniel. He didn't expect her to react like that.

-There is no "why", nor is there anything for you down there. - It was a bitter statement. There clearly was a "why" for her, but she masked it well enough for him to try to get to it. Daniel could only have theories about it, but it made Mom feel a certain way.

-What's inside of it? - Maisie asked.

-You don't need to worry about that. - Sophia replied. She finished her plate and put it in the kitchen sink. After that, Mom took the basement key hanging on the wall just beside the door and closed it shut. Daniel looked at that with sadness. He clearly could try to convince her, yet she was clearly not in the mood for that. The bitter expression stayed on her face until she disappeared into her room. Daniel couldn't argue with her. He remembers how it always ends with her. He was way over even trying to find a common ground. Maisie and Daniel witnessed that in silence - the invasion of her feelings. A tense aura hung around them.