Chapter Four: The Other Side

Daniel woke up trapped. Tied up by his wrists and ankles. Able to wiggle around at the slightest. Even though it was dark and he couldn't see anything, he felt movement. He was sure he was in a vehicle. A van, or a truck of some sort, moving at an even pace. There were more vehicles around him as well. Motorcycles with their harsh and snappy roar of the engine. Cars with way more smooth ones, sounding almost as if they drift above the ground with no touch at all.

-Hey! - he shouted. - Let me out! - Somebody must have heard him, but at first, nobody answered. After a brief moment in that endless darkness, a light appeared. The truck driver slid the viewer lid.

-The outsider awakened! - he said with a gnarly voice.

-Where are you taking me? - Daniel asked, stepping closer to the light.

-To our town. - the driver said as if it was something obvious. - But don't worry kid, you're going to be fine. Our leader asked us to be gentle with you.

-Knocking me unconscious and tossing me into a dark van doesn't seem gentle at all.

-Yeah, yeah... and would you go with us if we didn't do that? - the driver shifted his focus from Daniel to something behind the window.

-Wait. - He said, rolling it down and shouting.

-What is that thing?!

-The Out-Towners! - a feminine voice shouted clearly in panic. - Drive! Faster! Faster!

-These ungrateful bastards... - the driver chuckled.

-Who?! - Daniel asked in panic.

-Fasten your seatbelt, kid.

-I don't have any!

The driver closed the lid and stepped on the gas. With that force, Daniel tumbled to the floor hitting the back door. Nailed to the far end wall of the van, he could feel Daniel could fall out at any point, yet somehow, he sat still as the vehicle didn't stop gaining speed.

-They are too fast! - the feminine voice screamed.

Suddenly in all of that turmoil, Daniel could hear the horn of a much larger truck. It sounded like the raging of a beast that was closing and closing in on him from the side. When it was so close he could almost feel his eardrums pop, at once the horn stopped. In that moment of silence, Daniel thought they were safe, but suddenly the raving engine broke out just beside the van as the truck crashed into it at full speed. The devastating force spun around the vehicle he was in, tumbling him from side to side, hitting every wall around. The van stopped and the havoc began. People started running, screaming and shouting. Daniel was there confused, badly hurt, and unable to move. Most of all he was trapped in that van like canned fish as people were fighting around him.

-Maybe they won't open the van? - that thought comforted him as suddenly a bloody spear pierced the thin metal wall of the van. Daniel shouted in fear, momentarily stopping. As someone outside took out the spear a body slid down on the other side leaving a medium-sized hole in the wall.