Chapter Eleven: Time Between

Daniel and Roth found a rusty car on the outskirts of out-town. They needed to cross the Lake and get to the corridor as fast as they could. Changes in the world were simple at first. Flashes of the green and healthy world appeared as they were behind the veil. The danger grew over time as patches of glass broke through the veil appearing on the harsh wasteland. Houses crumbling while the transition happened, they appeared sometimes even in front of Roth and Daniel's car. They dodged and tried to get around them. Pieces of pavement appeared and cracked holes in the even ground of the wasteland. All these changes were uneven, and the ripples were not prepared to do the right job. The Prophet was indeed doing that out of the tension Daniel put on him. It was hard to tell how vast the ripples' influence was, but one thing was certain - their realities were starting to collapse, and they needed to do something to stop it.

After crossing Lake Hoover Daniel and Roth rode through the desert leaving nothing but clouds of dust behind. It took them less than an hour to get to the house. Just as Daniel left it, almost obliterated, missing the upper floor. The remaining walls were destroyed to the point you could think this was what was left from a nuclear explosion. The only intact thing was the basement hidden beneath the foundation. A room almost identical to the one he had back home, but without the furniture. There were only a few chairs and a table, covered in layers of dust that certainly weren't used for a really long time. On the wall on the other side of the stairs, there was the metal door to the corridor. Standing unbothered, stating its overwhelming presence around the room.

-God, that thing is huge... - said Roth. He was never here before, so his soul was filled with nothing more than curiosity and excitement. It was there, serving as a mask for the feelings digging deep in his conscience. Daniel wasn't excited. His expression was dull and hollow. He had hoped to go back home, but at the same time, he felt tired. Almost like he was unable to go further, yet at the same time he knew that going further was the only thing he had left to do. He couldn't find any life in that. It was just the determination and the determination only.

There wasn't a lot of light coming from the little windows by the ceiling, but it was enough for them to see the things they needed to see. Things like the journal pages, which described the sheer nature of the corridor, having drawings of it.

-It doesn't seem as if The Prophet built it. It is a study, not a blueprint. - Daniel stated surely.

The drawings were showing way too much for Daniel to understand right away. All the notes were messy, some things were scratched out to the point the rest was almost unreadable. Roth opened the metal door. Hinges squeaked under the weight of the door. Three lamps on their side of the corridor lit up one by one. The other door remained closed.

-The Blue Corridor. - Roth mumbled. - It's the first time I see it. - he seemed to be drowning in thoughts. - I just can't believe that a completely different reality is just behind that door.