Chapter Nine: Paradox Prisoner

Daniel woke up in a prison cell. Maise was sitting on the other side of the bars, right beside him. The side of her head was covered in bandages, soaked with her blood. She greeted him with compassion.

-You're not dead? - excitement and shock resounded in his voice. - But how?

-The bullet missed me. Slide over my temple. It's a miracle I'm even still alive. - she chuckled which quickly turned into a violent cough.

-I survived, but I'm still in pretty bad shape.

-I'm sorry.

-Don't be. - she said quickly.

-I want to go back through the corridor.

-I'm afraid that's not possible.

-We will need to make it possible. I will fix this. I will make you stay in the real world.

-I don't want that, Daniel.

-Why is that? Ever since I got here, everything has gone to shit! You clearly don't look like you had a different experience. - At this moment, Daniel felt the railroad again. He was having a conversation, but they gave him a feeling like he was traversing some kind of space.

-I still don't want that. - A tear rounded up in Maise's eyes. - It won't be my future to live.

-How? - he said, moving calmly along the train tracks...

-This world doesn't work like that, Daniel. - The tracks cracked a little. It was a strange feeling, but it felt like a breath of fresh air.

-Then we will make it work like that. Maise come on! - he shouted, Maisie laughed with pain.

-What is it? - Daniel asked.

-He said to me the same thing, a long time ago. - Daniel went for that fresh air. It was like a crack in the wall, he made it a bit bigger.

-You're talking about that old prick, don't you? Who is he anyway?

-I cannot tell you that. All he wants you to know, for now, is that you have a part to play in all of this, too. Just need to be patient. - said Maisie showing all the care she had for her now younger brother, even through her melancholic tears. - He is trying to fix the world. - she said as hope covered her face.

-If I had a part to play in fixing the world, I wouldn't be locked in a cage, would I?! - he raised his voice, and the tension between them increased.

-That's your part, Daniel. - she stated firmly. - ...to not stand in his way until it's done. You're a paradox we need to contain.

-A paradox?

-Stop! Stop! Just stop asking questions! - Raven was clearly physically exhausted by the conversation. Probably because of the wound on her head, which she reached with her hands to try to contain that pain.