Chapter Seven: The Raven

The dust clouds of the incoming sandstorm slowly settled around the area surrounding Raven's base. The wind was moving it closer and closer as Roth's truck pulled over in the Out-Town. Kathrine, the driver stayed with the engine ready if the situation was to go critical. A small pluton of about 60 people exited the back and went down the main street up until the main gate. Roth, leading the group, held Daniel by the wrists behind his back, a makeshift handgun pointed at the back of his head. Safety still on. Overthinking the whole situation, Daniel felt something different. Something new. A railroad underneath him. It was strange, yet subtle. With every step, he and everyone else moved alongside it.

"Like it was meant to be" - a thought occurred. A subtle one like the feeling itself, but worth noting.

The Out-Town where Roth's people used to live was desolate. Most of the houses made out of scrap were gone, clearly taken inside to base to serve a new purpose. What was left of a place Roth called home not so long ago was just a memory hidden in the shadows and trash that were left in a place it used to be.

Before he even noticed they stopped at the main gate.

-Raven! - Roth shouted. There were no guards at the gate. They must have died from the poisoned water. Roth's plan had worked.

-We have what you want! - he continued, as a pair of two clumsy guards climbed up above the gate.

-What do you want? - the braver one spoke up. His voice was filled with a specific type of ignorance, Roth and Daniel could easily tell that he was stupid, even from a few meters below.

-Don't you see? - the smarter one took the floor. - That's the kid!

-What kid? We have enough kids inside. Go away!

-The one from the caravan.

-The caravan? - he realized the nature of the situation. - You're the people who attacked us?! You're that stupid to come here? Give me one good reason not to shoot you right now! - he pointed at the crowd of about sixty people standing behind Roth who held Daniel just before him.

-Stop it! You dumbass. - The smarter guard took the gun away from him and leaned to the barrier behind him. He mumbled something and turned back to Roth's group.

-You may come in. - these words were a surprise. Was it that easy? Were they that desperate?

The gate opened and Roth's group slowly moved inside.

The two guards came down to greet the visitors. They didn't seem hostile at all, at least from the looks of it.

-Listen. I'm sorry for my brother. He's one of them stupid people - the smarter one said, leading them toward the center of the base.

-I can hear that. - his brother responded.

-But he can't understand that. - the smarter one whispered to Roth and Daniel.