Interlude Four: Illusions

A few days after Mom's passing someone knocked on the door. It was The Prophet. She greeted him with distrust asking what he wanted from her. He came there to explain her things, certainly feeling like a knight on a white horse. She didn't feel if that was true, but their earlier interaction made her let him in. He knew things that she wanted to know, but was she ready to hear them?

They sat in the living room. She sat on the couch, and he on the armchair. After a moment of silence, the prophet finally spoke up.

-I am.... - suddenly the reality shifted around her. She was somewhere else. In a space of nothing but pure blue, even though she still felt the couch underneath her. She couldn't make out a word that he was saying. He told her his life story, how he ended up being where he is right now, and what he is to do here with her. He wanted to teach her. Prepare her. Help her to later help him change the world. He knew she had a hidden rage inside of her, he knew she could use it to make a change in this world. Later he also told her that he knew her mother was going to pass. That is why he kept his distance. That is why he waited. He said it was an event that had to happen.

Maisie understood all of that. It was clear in her head, but she didn't hear it from The Prophet. His words were muted in the chaos of different sensations that wandered around her head.

He told her that he knew what the future had in store for her, yet she didn't want to listen. It was horrible knowing what would happen next. That thought built an urge inside of her. That rage for the world she held deep inside started to turn into a rage towards the strands of fate that kept her life in check. She wanted to break it. She wanted to destroy it. She wanted to pave her own path.

-Maisie! - a strange voice echoed inside of her head. - You cannot listen to him! Don't do that! He will use you! Lead you to your death! - many emotions were wandering with the voice. Sadness, mainly. Sorrow, even. She was sure she knew that voice from somewhere. It felt familiar. The reality settled in, with her in the middle of a conversation she didn't have. The Prophet stood in front of her shaking her by the shoulder.

-Are you alright?

-Yeah. - she mumbled, collecting her thoughts. The voice in her head felt trustful. She didn't really understand it, but her gut told her to be wary of the man in front. The Prophet stood up.

- Shall we? - he said. - I will show you what I've just talked about.

Maise stood up as they descended the basement stairs.

The prophet moved the old furniture around revealing that huge metal door again. After 4 years it was still standing there untouched by time. It was immortal. The Prophet told her to open it, standing just a few meters behind her. She was still a bit shocked, but she played along with what he wanted from her. She opened the door. The other door was already opened.

When the Prophet saw what was behind he stood in shock.

-They cannot be here so soon. -he thought, knowing he had to intervene.

The lights were lit on the other side of it. As the lights on Maisie's side turned on, they revealed a tall figure of a man standing in the center of the corridor. He was working on something in a control box hidden in the wall. Maisie didn't recognise that man, but suddenly in the room at the far end of the corridor, a familiar silhouette walked past it.

-Daniel. - she mumbled. He and the other man noticed Maise. The taller man stood in confusion, but Daniel started running towards the door. Viciously like an animal, he needed to get to the other side. Maisie's whole body was covered in goosebumps. She felt shivers walking up her spine, messing with her brain. She was scared and confused. It was a hard thing to process.

-Maise! - Daniel shouted seeing the prophet standing just behind her, but before he could continue she slammed the door shut with The Prophet's help, closing their only way out in front of their very eyes. The basement burrowed in silence again. The pounding footsteps stopped and she could no longer hear Daniel's scream. No longer see his face. Was it even real? It seemed as if it was a complete illusion the longer Masie thought about it.

-It was real. - the prophet said to her, holding her tight by her shoulders. He seemed to maintain his face of stone emerald eyes shining like gemstones. Maisie could read in them that something was not right.

-What is it? - she asked and didn't believe anything she saw.

-This was your brother. He didn't die 4 years ago, he walked to the other side of that corridor and never returned. - Maisie didn't grasp it, but after a bit of explaining the nature of the parallel world, she felt a bit enlightened. Not like she suddenly believed it, but the overwhelming confusion numbed her cognitive functions quite extensively.

-You seemed worried about it. - she said.

-That is why I must leave you for now. He cannot do anything to that corridor while my plan is still ongoing. Stay strong. I know you are with me on this one! - The Prophet said in a strangely familiar manner. He walked upstairs towards the kitchen.

-Wait. - Maisie said. As she followed him and entered the ground floor The Prophet was nowhere to be seen. She looked around the house glancing at the last photograph of Daniel which stood at the top of their fireplace. He was smiling. His face was as young as he was 4 years ago. Maisie and Daniel in that photo would be the same age today.