Chapter Ten: The Journal

Not much time has passed since Maisie let Roth and Daniel run away. The whole base was on alert, but the shortage of people gave them a solid amount of time and space to rethink their plan. They entered an abandoned house that Roth occupied before going to rescue Daniel. The interior was empty overall, except for some gear which Roth stole alongside the explosives.

-Roth. - Daniel spoke up as they sat by the empty wall. - I'm... - but Roth interrupted him.

-I'm the one who should be apologizing. - he said. - We both have agendas here, but I was the one to leave you on that battlefield. Now you got captured. I'm sorry.

-It's ok. Because of that, I could talk to Maise. She's not the sister I left in my world.

-I'm sorry to hear that. So what's our plan?

-I need to go to the prophet's house again. I was captured before I could run away with his journal. They're my only shot at getting out of here.

-I'm with you on that. Honestly, I want to leave this place, too. After what happened. If you don't mind me coming along.

-It'd be great. - said Daniel finding peace in this relationship. It was messy from both sides, but they worked together well enough.

Sneaking their way through the almost empty base, they made it to the prophet's house again. The lights were lit. Someone was inside. Daniel was the smaller one, so he went in first. Looking through the door he saw Match and Scratch, They were talking to each other. Working on something in the hidden console room on the far end of the house. Daniel quickly noticed the journal. It was lying on a table in the middle of the main room. Almost as if it was waiting to be taken.

This was it. He could grab it and they could leave the enemy territory. Daniel boldly stepped inside. Made his way to the table. Almost had the journal in his hands, as Scratch walked back from the console room. A bit of initial surprise was quickly spoiled by his urgency to protect what was meant to stay in their possession.

-You escaped the prison and now you're coming back? Are you fucking stupid? - he ran towards Daniel. The pounding of his footsteps pierced into his mind as a voice came to him from the back.

-I don't think so. - Roth marched in with his handgun ready. He stretched out his arms towards the target and shot. Scratch dropped dead on the ground with a hot bullet still spinning inside of his brain.

Match in the console room heard all of that. He was in shock, leaning against the console. Roth aimed at him, but with his mind in focus again he flipped one of the switches that activated all the ripples the last time. Roth shot at him, and the bullet went right through piercing into the wall behind him. Roth backed off slowly, as Match approached...

-Daniel, take the journal! - he shouted quickly and shot a few more times, but again the bullets went right through. Daniel went for the book, but Matched pushed him to the wall, walked up toward Roth, and grabbed him by the neck, lifting him with a force twice as big as one could expect from him. It felt enhanced. Unnatural. Roth dropped his gun. It was just at Daniel's feet, lying against the wall. He looked at his body from head to toe. He was blinking, fading with the reality around him, just like the journal that disappeared in his hands the night before.