My Girl's in The Next Room 💀

"Happy launch!" Someone screamed, popping a bottle of champagne. Music played loudly from a DJ booth of the venue that had been rented out for the party. It was filled with drunk people laughing and dancing. It was a vibrant sight of sparkly dresses, spilled drinks and smoke from substances that would surely get them kicked out if they were anywhere but in Los Angeles.

"Alright, folks! This one is a throw back, so get ready to throw it back!" The DJ announced over the mic before Let's Get it Started began to play.

Jake rolled his eyes at the obnoxious pun, sipping on a whiskey. He was sitting in the corner of the room, a few drinks in, but not enough to make him want to deal with all of his girlfriend's friends.

Jake was getting too old to spend his evenings clubbing or partying. He didn't understand why Janette insisted on doing it still. Sure, he liked to go out and have a little fun once in a while, but this was entirely too much.

Jake understood to an extent that this was for work, but he didn't get why he had to go? Brand stuff and parties like this always ended with Jake hiding in a corner because he doesn't know anyone or have anything in common with these people because most of them were in their early twenties.

"Hey, guys! I'm here at Sarah Jade's launch party for her collab with MORPHE and look how cute the table setting is!" A girl at a different table said to her phone, a guy pointing a ringlight at her to make sure the lighting was perfect.

Jake suppressed a sigh.

Fucking influencers.

When Jake started dating Janette, he had no idea who she was or what she did for a living, and sadly, she didn't tell him until they were serious. It wasn't like he had an issue with being internet famous as a whole, he respected the hustle, it was just some of the people that happened to be internet famous.

Jake spent most of his time on tour so he didn't usually have to deal with it. He made it clear to Janette that he had no interest being in her videos and she respected it mostly so it worked.

Jake couldn't help but find himself so unbelievably annoyed with the people Janette associated herself with. Sure, most of it was just for work and she wasn't actually friends with them(something he found a bit disingenuous since they were leading their followers to believe they were friends), but it was still odd.

"Okay, guys. I've had this foundation on for eight hours and look how good it looks!" A woman in front of Jake said, nearly blinding him with her ringlight.

Jake stood up and walked over to the bar because good god. If he had to listen to one more person film shit for a vlog, he was going to find the closest sharp object and impale himself with it.

Dating an influencer taught Jake one thing. They are completely detached from reality. Even the 'down to earth' ones that people praise for being so real. It's an act. Those people are somehow worse than the superficial influencers because at least the latter was aware that they had it made.

The 'relatable' ones who genuinely believe that they have it so hard and they're just like everyone else was baffling to Jake.

Jake didn't want to be that guy, but he didn't spend half his life perfecting his craft, years in school to earn a degree in sound engineering, and worked his ass off nine months out of the year away from home touring to be told that someone who spent an hour filming themselves talking about a damn lipstick and send the footage off to an editor to deal with it made triple the amount he made.

Jake couldn't imagine how people with minimum wage jobs felt. He was privileged as fuck and he felt bitter about it.

"Hi, baby!" Jake turned around to see his very drunk girlfriend stumbling towards him.