Serenade

"There is no passion! There is no vision! There is no aggression!" Bruno yells. Georgie jumps a little with every sentence. Bruno can be a little bit harsh sometimes, but to be fair, she's brought this on herself a bit. She didn't sleep well the night before so by the time morning fencing practice rolls around she isn't very awake. "If I was fighting you in real life, you would have been a shish kabob by now, skkt!" He makes a sound that Georgie presumes is her getting shish-kabobbed. At least he gets points for creativity. He sighs and his expression softens. "Listen, why don't we switch to something else since it's not clicking today, hm?"

Georgie nods. Her mind is too tired to think of any sort of footwork or strategy. Still, only the women's team practices on Friday mornings, meaning she's the only student out on the platforms since Lonnie went rogue. "Alright," says Bruno, "here's the deal, and I'll put your equipment away, you go change into your trainers and then you run five laps of the tourney field, got it?"

Georgie's shoulders drop and she lets out a strangled sigh. She hates running; that's why she likes fencing so much. She looks over to the tourney field that is filled with the players doing a warm-up before school and their game in the afternoon. Great.

Georgie changes into her trainers and breaks into a run, she can feel the gross dewiness of the grass tickling her ankles and soaking her shoes. Even worse, she feels the stares of the tourney team as she runs around their field.

Georgie does one lap, and then another. As she comes towards Bruno he begins to blow his whistle and yell, "Go Georgie, go, you're on a good pace. Keep it up!" If she didn't have the attention of the tourney team before, she does now. She wills her legs to move faster so that she might get this over with quicker.

Another lap goes by and she can see that a few of the tourney boys are jokingly cheering her on, and she swears she hears a cat whistle in there too. Four down, one to go. Bruno eggs her on as she goes for her last lap and she puts her last burst of energy into it. Finally, she rounds all four corners once again and comes to a halt at Bruno's feet. She hunches over, trying to catch her breath as he pats her on the back. "That was good work, my friend. You need to give as much effort in each fencing practice as you did running those laps. Come, let's get you some water."

"Ugh, I feel so hot and sweaty and gross now," Georgie manages out between pants. She needs a solution quickly before she looks like an out-of-shape mess in front of the Tourney team.  Plus, now that she's all humid and gross and tired, she's definitely going to fall asleep in Remedial Goodness 101 if she doesn't find a fix quickly. She points to one of the to one of the water coolers that is out for the tourney team, "Hey, can I use that?"

Coach Jenkins nods politely. "Go ahead. The boys have already filled their bottles. We can get you—"

No one, maybe not even Georgie, expects her to pour the rest of the water cooler out over her head. Georgie gasps as she's doused in cold water. She stands there for a moment, dripping wet and blowing out the water that's falling into her mouth from her hair.  Several of the boys on the tourney team, including Ben and Jay are pointing and laughing in shock at her now. She lets out a shaky exhale, "Much better. I'm awake for class now."

By the time Georgie manages to get the water out of her eyes, she can see that Bruno is still staring at her slack-jawed. Coach Jenkins turns to him, looking for an explanation, but Bruno only shrugs, "She's never done this before. This is...new."

Coach Jenkins nods politely back, and then turns to his own team. "Okay, tourney guys, you are free to go, I'll see you this afternoon and make sure to let your teachers know that you need to leave early to get lunch before the game."

Off to the side, Georgie is still drenched and not really sure what to do, standing there watching the tourney team pack up awkwardly. She figures once she gets to the locker room she can get her towel and dry herself off.