Eavesdroppers

The shoulder pains had been subsiding over the weekend which was good news for Georgie since she has fencing practice Monday afternoon. She made an appointment to see one of the nurses who gave her a cortisone shot at lunch which has her feeling a lot better by the time the end of the day bell rings, however, the nurse also made her wear a sling for the remainder of the day to prevent from any further irritation or inflammation. Of course, Georgie emailed her Coach, Bruno to tell him about her injury and he said he would give her something non-shoulder related to do.

She shuts her locker for the day and grabs her change of clothes and trainers since she won't be needing the rest of her fencing equipment. A few lockers down, Jay and Carlos watch her and look at one another in confusion.

"Hey, Georgie," calls Carlos, he points to her trainers. "I thought you hurt your shoulder. Are you still going to your fencing practice?"

Georgie nods. "I am, but it's probably going to be leg day for me or something."

"That's brutal dude," replies Carlos, "I can't believe he wouldn't just give you the afternoon off." He considers his words for a moment. "Well actually maybe not since he nade you run laps of the tourney field last week."

Jay thinks back to the moment fondly and smiles. "That was funny." Georgie shoots him a disapproving glare. "I meant to say not funny."

Georgie rolls her eyes. "Sure you did. Thanks for the shoulder taping the other day, the nurse today said that's probably what saved my shoulder from getting even worse over the weekend."

"Oh, uh, it's no problem. Just glad I could practice my taping skills," replies Jay. From what Georgie gathers, he didn't tell Carlos about the incident.

The three make their usual walk towards the athletic buildings and the change rooms, Georgie splitting off to the women's change room once they arrive. Before leaving to go out to the fencing practice area she sends Ben a quick text. Did you ask her out yet? Just about to go into practice. Let me know what she says so I can see it ASAP after practice. He won't be at tourney practice tonight because as the boys explained to her before, it was an optional cool-down practice after the good game they played on Monday.

She steps out of the fairly empty change room and onto the grassy area leading up to the fencing platform. Bruno looks concerned, his student hasn't really had a big injury before, but Georgie explains to him in detail what happened—leaving out the Chad part once again. He explains to her that they're just going to be doing some video analysis of opponents.

Bruno pulls out his laptop and they begin to go over videos from last year's competitions to take a peek at some of the girls in Georgie's age category that she might have to face over the course of the season. She recognizes nearly all of them since they've been competing against one another for the past two years. They analyze all of their movements, trying to see who has a tell or tendencies that Georgie might be able to take advantage of.

"See, Georgie, she made it to the finals against Lonnie last year, but she's nowhere near as good as you are." He freezes the frame and takes his finger to draw a circle around Lonnie's opponent's elbow. "See this? When she lunges, her elbow is not fully extended. She's not taking advantage of the length of her arm. She may be taller than you, probably five foot ten, but if you can take full advantage of the length of your arms, it'll be like you're towering over her. Small, and mighty. That is how you become champion this year."

A cheeky grin grows on Georgie's face. "Is that what your coach told you when you were younger? Since you're so short?"

Bruno deadpans. "You're going to go on a run again if you keep this up."