Part 2

Five years later:

‘What do you mean?’ he asked unable to comprehend what he had just heard.

‘My Papa got a job in Manchester and well, he wants us all to go with him’ she sombrely answered.

‘But. You can’t! I mean, you’re my best friend Clar, they can’t separate us! Don’t you have a say in all this?’ panic evident in his voice.

‘I do and I have decided that I well you know it might be a good thing to help my football’

‘So you’re going to leave me here on my own and forget about me?’

‘No! Of course not. Cristiano, I promise that will never happen. We can write to each other and you have to promise me that you will keep working hard at your football because I know how great you can be. Who knows? Maybe you will sign for a club in England and we will be reunited again’

‘Yes but I. How will I cope not seeing you every day?’ he questioned as tears began to glisten in his eyes.

‘Here. This way you’ll always see me whenever you want’ she said handing him a photo of herself on her Communion dressed in her beautiful white dress, her hair pulled into a bun with a veil pinned underneath it.

Cristiano remembered that day only too well; it was the day he started to see Clarissa in a different light. At thirteen years of age, he was unfamiliar of the concept of love but from what his mother had told him, these new feelings he felt for her were similar to what she had described to him.

With that he leapt forward wrapping his arms tightly around her neck.

‘I’ll never forget you Clarissa, you’ll always be my best friend and nothing will ever change that’ he wept.

~~~

‘Cristiano!’ he heard his mother call out to him ‘It’s here meu amor, a parcel from Manchester!’

Immediately she heard footsteps on the hallway racing down towards her in the kitchen.

He lifted his hand to take the box from his mother’s hand.

‘Ah ah’ she cooed pointing to her cheek

‘Come on Mama, I’m not little kid anymore’ he whined

‘But you will always be my little boy’ she smiled as he gave her a peck on her soft cheek.

The package under his arm he made his way to the privacy of his bedroom and settled himself on top of the bed.

He carefully opened the wrapping until he was faced with a box emblazoned with the Man Utd. crest.

Unable to contain his excitement any longer he lifted the lid and scanned his eyes over the contents of what was contained in the treasure chest.

Neatly packed inside were an array of photos, postcards and memorabilia. Taking each item out, he perused them with wonder as each told a story of Clarissa’s adventure in her new surroundings.

Once all the items were removed and intricately placed on his bed, he took a moment to admire them; they symbolised the close friendship that he had with Clarissa and which had not faltered even though they were separated.

He lifted up a photo of  Clarissa dressed in her ball girl kit standing outside Old Trafford grinning like a Cheshire cat mimicking her smile. Turning to place it back in the box, something caught his eye; a piece of red material lay folded at the base of the box.

He cupped his hands and scooped out the material, each hand holding an edge he held it in front of him as tears began to accumulate in his eyes. Printed on the back of a Manchester United jersey was the number ‘7’, above which ‘Ronaldo’ was spelt out.

Without hesitation he bolted and ran as fast as he could into the kitchen.

‘Mama! Look!’ he exclaimed ‘I am a Manchester United player!’ he giggled holding up his new jersey.

Giggling in unison his mother kneeled down ‘Si mi amor, you are, and if you continue to work hard one day you will play for a great team like Manchester United’

~~~~

Standing in front of certain members of the world’s media, eighteen year old Cristiano Ronaldo held up the jersey he would be wearing as the newly signed number seven.

 It was impossible to hide the smile the beamed across his face, as the presentation came to an end.

Making his way back inside he noticed someone running towards him, her long brown hair flowing behind her. As she came into focus he could she her beaming from ear to ear as she jumped into his arms.

‘Congratulations! I knew you’d make it, football superstar!’ she laughed

‘Not a superstar just yet but perhaps in the future’

‘We’re back together again; you’re here now playing football and I’ll be going to university. Isn’t this great?!’

‘Nothing could be more perfect. Together forever’