Part 12

'Oh my God' Zulfiya barely managed towhisper as she sat across from Clarissa's desk.

Clarissa needed to confide in someone about what was going in her life and Zulfiya was the most obvious choice; she had been with Clarissa from the very beginning of her career right through she was always there helping, not only with work but also whenever things were bothering Clarissa.

'I'm sorry I didn't tell you before' Clarissa paused as she tried to form a logical explanation.

'Don't worry about it, I completely understand, it's just I can't imagine how you have been going through this all on your own' Zulfiya replied, as she stood up and walked over to the other side of the table and placed her arms around Clarissa in a comforting embrace.

Clarissa hated this feeling of vulnerability that she had been experiencing; she had always been so independent, being strong enough to stand on her own two feet but now that was all falling apart.

Suddenly her phone started vibrating on the glass surface of the desk causing them both to jump.

'Sergio R' Zulfiya read the name that flashed across the screen. 'Ramos?' she asked.

Clarissa nodded, rolling her eyes.

'He's probably calling about wedding issues, what else could it be?' Zulfiya tried to find an explanation.

'Hello Sergio' Clarissa answered, a harsh tone present in her voice.

'Clarissa hey babe, so here's the thing, Cristiano couldn't call so he told me to let you know that our suits are ready so you need to come to the fitting tonight' Sergio instructed.

'Cristiano's too busy to call huh?' Clarissa looked at Zulfiya, an unamused, disbelieving expression etched across her face.

'Well... um... yeah....' Sergio's attempt at lying clearly failing '...Oh shit Clarissa you must really have pissed him off for him not to want to call you'

'ME?! I'm not the one who is at fault here!' Clarissa practically shouted down the phone.

She held the phone away from her ear and took a few deep breaths before trying to calm herself down, Zulfiya had left to give her some privacy.

Letting out a deep sigh, she held the phone up to her ear 'Forget about it, I'll do the adult thing and continue to do my duties as Best Woman and if Cristiano wants he can carry on sulking like a spoilt child that's fine by me'

'So.. the fitting's at eight, see you there' Sergio replied not wanting to get involved in whatever was going on between Cristiano and Clarissa.

'Bye' Clarissa answered hanging up the phone without a second thought.

Leaning over the table, placing her head in her hands, what was Cristiano doing? Whenever they had an argument he would just brush it aside telling her that it was not worth losing his best friend over a stupid couple of minutes of anger.

'Time to grow up Clar, he's changed' she scolded herself.

She shook her head in conflict with herself. No, she couldn't let him go without putting up a fight.

A gentle knock on the door brought Clarissa back to reality. She lifted her head as the door opened and saw Zulfiya walk in holding a tray; a jug filled with iced strawberry water along with a fresh fruit platter lay on top.

'This was all I could find' Zulfiya apologised placing the tray on the table in front of Clarissa.

'It's perfect, I need to cool down' Clarissa smiled, a hint of tears in her eyes as she poured a glass of water for herself and one for Zulfiya.

'What am I going to do Zul?' she asked after a few minutes. Her voice filed with desperation.

~~~~~

As the day went on Clarissa couldn't stop playing the scenario that had happened in the hospital over and over again in her mind.

Why was Cristiano playing mind games and not being the bigger man to stand up and shed this pretence that he was under. Of course everyone who was in his life now except for family and old friends didn't see his attitude or personality as a problem because they didn't know any different but she did and that evening as she left the hospital she made a silent vow to help him and not abandon him when he so clearly needed her.

As the thought crossed her mind, she jumped as her eyes fell upon the clock mounted on the wall before her: '7:55' she was going to be late.

Stuffing all her things into her bag she snatched her coat from the stand and swung the door wide open.

'Zul, I'm so sorry but you're going to have to lock up for me tonight please' she apologised.

'No problem go ahead' Zulfiya smiled as she watched Clarissa run down the hallway.

~~~

Speeding through the streets, Clarissa arrived outside the tailor shop within fifteen minutes.

She ran up to the door and found it locked, they must just be open to do the fitting for Cristiano. With that she began banging on the glass in an attempt to catch someone's attention.

After a few minutes she saw his figure appear from behind a curtain, getting closer and closer, he avoided her gaze as he unlocked and opened the door.

'Thanks' Clarissa smiled but he just ignored her, turning his back to her and making his way back towards the curtain.

'Cristiano' Clarissa called but he continued as if he didn't hear her.

The fitting was quite awkward for Clarissa as the boys joked and talked amongst themselves, leaving her to change on her own in private and to examine the workmanship that was done.

'It's perfect' she smiled as she perused her reflection from all angles in the three mirrors in front of her.

'Yes it is' she snapped around as soon as she saw his reflection leaning against the doorframe behind her.

'Only the best for your wedding' she smiled.

He smirked and then walked away leaving her alone with the tailor.

Quickly wriggling out of the suit and into her work dress, Clarissa came out into the main shop but found it deserted.

'They've all left' the shopkeeper informed her 'You're the only one still here'

Bowing her head and letting out a sigh, Clarissa looked at the man 'Thank you for all of your help' as he let her out.

Walking over to her car, Clarissa jumped as she saw the tall figure leaning against the driver's door.

As soon as he noticed her, he made a start towards the Audi that was parked behind.

'Cristiano, we need to talk' she called out after him.

'I have nothing to say to you'

'Then just answer this one question for me why keep me as your Best Woman?'

The words caused Cristiano to stop dead in his tracks

'Because you know me better than anyone else even better than I know myself' with that he opened the door of his car, ignited the engine and sped away out of sight.

Heading into her car, Clarissa's phone beeped catching her attention.

She read the message from Cristiano:

'And you're the only one who can help me'