Part 13

'We have a slight problem Senora' the short vicar with grey hair wearing the traditional robes quietly said approaching her down the aisle as she entered into the church.

'What is it?' Anselma asked, her teeth gritted as she turned her head in every direction trying to find him.

'Well your fiancé, Senor Ronaldo? He is not here as of yet' the vicar explained.

'That's impossible, I'm the one who's two hours late, he should be here by now. Where is he?' she screeched causing everyone in the vicinity to turn around as her shrill voice echoed off the marble white pristine marble interior of the beautiful church.

'W-well no-one can reach him' the vicar stuttered clearly intimidated by Anselma's sharpness.

'You' she squealed shrugging past the vicar nearly knocking him into a nearby pew. Her index fingered pointed she strutted towards Clarissa.

'You're his best woman. You're the one who needs to make sure that he is here on time, so why isn't he here?!'

'I don't know. I've tried calling a million times but his phone is off'

'Well this is my wedding rehearsal, so where is he?' Anselma stomped like a spoilt child.

'Firstly there are two of you getting married, secondly I don't know where he is, and he'd be here by now if I did. The last anyone saw or heard from him was after training' Clarissa retaliated.

Anselma took a threatening step forward and with unwavering eye contact spoke 'You better get him here now or so help you'

Turning on her heel Anselma sighed loudly 'I need water!' She declared clicking her heels on the white marble floor as she marched away from Clarissa.

Taking a seat in the nearest pew Clarissa bent forward leaning her arms on her legs and staring at the floor beneath her feet.

She hadn't seen or heard from Cristiano since the suit fitting; whether it was intentional or because he was genuinely busy one thing was for sure; he needed to be here now for the rehearsal of one, if not the biggest day of his life; the one that would seal his fate.

She kept her head bent down, others hurried around not knowing what to do; her mind scurried desperately trying to think of where in the world he could be. Football pitches, stadiums, parks, cafes all crossed her mind.

Suddenly she bolted upright, hastily making her way onto the aisle and towards the door.

'Hey Clarissa' a voice called out behind her 'Clarissa wait, stop. Where are you going?' Sergio asked as he finally caught up with her.

Continuing out the big lavish wooden doors and towards her car Clarissa turned to look him square in the eyes.

'I know where he is' she explained, her voice full of disbelief as to how she could have been so stupid as to not know where her best friend was.

'Where? Let me come with you' and with that Sergio made a start for the passenger side of the car.

'No!' Clarissa exclaimed holding her hands up to stop him. 'I need to go alone' her eyes pleading with him.

A look of confusion washed over his face before turning in to one of understanding.

'Ok' he nodded, taking his hand away from the door handle and stepping away from the car.

Smiling gratefully and his action Clarissa hopped into the car, reversed out of the parking spot and sped off down the road.

As she made her way towards the destination she let her mind wander to the memory that prompted this certainty of where Cristiano was.