Part 17

'So I heard that the wedding is cancelled' Clarissa stated as she took sip of her hazelnut latte.

'Postponed' Cristiano corrected 'Anselma is making the most of all this. She's postponing the wedding in order to see if she can trust me ever again after I betrayed her by having a relationship with you' he air quoted to convey what the media had been saying.

'We know that's not the truth' Clarissa snapped, banging her open palm on the dark mahogany table of the near empty cafe.

'Of course we do. But the media and everyone else don't. She's portrayed you and I as the villains and her as the sweet innocent soul who's being corrupted. Ugh that woman can play people!' he exclaimed shaking his head in annoyance.

'And so here we are, you in a baseball cap and sunglasses and me in my silk scarf hiding'

Cristiano shrugged 'we can't add fuel to the to the fire but I wanted to talk to you face to face. How are things at work?' he asked.

It had been two weeks since the two had returned to Madrid and every time they left their houses they were hounded by photographers. Of course Cristiano was used to it but for Clarissa it was a living hell.

'The worst' she sighed 'from the moment I leave home I'm chased by paparazzi and at work I'm constantly followed by whispering and rumours and the pointing. I feel like some sort of freak show. I just want to crawl under my duvet and live out my days peacefully there, that way I won't be judged'

'That is a good idea, or you could always buy your own private island and never be harassed again'

Clarissa gulped her drink.'God! Is that why you brought me here? To tell me that you have bought me my own island?' she teased.

'Sorry to break it to you, but no, the closest you'll get to your own private pool is a paddling pool at the moment' he retaliated causing her to scowl like she did as a little girl.

'No. seriously though Clarissa. I asked you here because I wanted to know if you would like to come with me to the club awards in two weeks'

Clarissa's head immediately snapped up as the words filled her ears. 'Cristoano!' she exclaimed as both hands palms down flat on the table causing the cutlery to rattle 'Are you crazy? please tell me that this is a joke' she begged.

'Of course I'm not kidding!' he replied. 'What are you scared of? Anselma? You don't need to be afraid of her' he said, placing a comforting hand on top of hers.

Looking down at their two hands Clarissa let them stay before pulling her hand back and sitting back in her char.

'I'm not afraid of her, she can do whatever the hell she wants but I mean, won't the two of us together only reinforce her stupid story about me stealing you away from her?

'Shit' Cristiano muttered under under his breath slapping his hands onto his thighs, as the realisation that Clarissa had made a good point hit him.

'I can still go, just we can't go together' Clarissa offered.

Cristiano shook his head 'No. the only way you can get in is if you're accompanying a player'

'Well that's not going to happen. They're all got their wives and girlfriends' Clarissa sighed.

'Not all of them' Cristiano clicked his fingers as he remembered that not all of his teammates were attached.

'Who?' Clarissa asked, her brow furrowed in curiosity.

'You're not going to like it but it's the only option we have if you want to attend'

'If you say Sergio Ramos then I swear I'll....' Clarissa began trying to think of a way to finish her threat, crossing her arms across her chest.