Part 14

Standing with her two hands placed on top of the black rusting gate she looked upon the view before her, a hint of nostalgia was evident in her eyes which had begun to tear up.

'Ready to go in?' Cristiano asked after he had paid the required fare to the taxi driver who had brought them to their destination. He didn't wait for a reply but instead took her hand and opened the gate leading her up the smooth concrete pathway towards the house where he grew up in.

Coming to a stop in front of the black door, Clarissa looked up at the tall white façade of the building. She took a step back allowing her eyes to fall upon the double windows and let out a soft chuckle causing Cristiano to turn.

'Remember when I used to stand here and shout up to you to come down and play' she reminisced.

'Yeah and if I couldn't then I'd throw down some chocolate or sweets to make it up to you until I could come out' he replied smiling as the memories crossed his mind in unison with hers.

Clarissa watched as Cristiano bent down and picked up a nearby pot plant which was on the step before the door to reveal a key.

'Mama left it here just in case any of us wanted to come back' he explained as he unlocked the door and returned the key to its own little home.

He stepped aside to let Clarissa enter the house first. She climbed the step and stopped so that her toes treaded the gold threshold and took hold of Cristiano's hand. 'Together' she said

'One. Two. Three' he counted them in before they both stepped through the door frame and back into their past.

The familiar now musky smell filled their nostrils immediately.

'Home sweet home' Cristiano chimed squeezing Clarissa's hand reassuringly.

After the pair had opened the windows downstairs allowing fresh air to enter, Cristiano made his way upstairs. Clarissa remained in the kitchen and set to work preparing dinner with ingredients they had bought in the local supermarket on the way to the house.

Reaching the landing, Cristiano stopped by the door of his mother's room; not daring to enter in case he disrupted anything he remained by the threshold. His mother spent more time in Madrid nowadays so that she could be closer to him and so everything remained just as she had left them; pristine and in its own designated place. She stood and admired the way the lilac duvet neatly lay atop the bed and how her intricately her belongings were placed around the room. He closed his eyes and inhaled the lingering smell of her favourite perfume; a scent that he always associated with warmth and safety.

Coming back to his senses, he made his way down the hallway and towards his room. He stopped by the door and smiled at the plaque emblazoned on it 'Cristiano's Room' it read in bright red with footballs scattered around.

He opened the door and entered the place that was once a haven for him and now a treasure trove of memories.

He slowly made his way towards the end of the bed and traced his hand over the red Manchester United cover and smiled. He had always loved the gift he had received one Christmas and every night he would pray that he would get the opportunity to play for such a big club one day in his life.

Sitting down on the edge, he leaned forward and observed his surroundings.

Before him on a high shelf stood various trophies and medals that he had won during his school days.

Scattered on the four walls hung posters of his footballing idols including Luis Figo. He let out a nostalgic sigh; how times had changed for him from such humble beginnings.

~~~

Clarissa placed a steadying hand on either side of the sink and took a deep breath as she wondered whether or not coming here with him was the right decision.

'Of course it's the right call' she told herself 'He needed to get away from all that's bothering him and as his best friend you should be helping him in any way that you can'

As she continued her arguments for and against agreeing to accompany Cristiano the alarm of the timer burst through her ears.

Taking the lasagne out of the oven she set it on the neatly laid table and called up the stairs.

'Cristiano, dinner's ready'

It wasn't long before she heard the sound of footsteps tapping down the stairs and down the hallway towards her.

'Something smells delicious' Cristiano stated and immediately Clarissa heard the blocked sound of his voice. Turning she saw the redness and puffiness of his eyes which confirmed that he had been crying.

He caught her staring as she brought over two glasses in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other and smiled in the way he would do when pretending that everything was fine.

Taking this cue, Clarissa began to dish out the food onto the plate while Cristiano poured the wine for the both of them.

'So tell me, how long are we staying for?' Clarissa asked as she tucked into her food.

Cristiano shrugged in response 'I was thinking that I would stay for at least a week, maybe longer'

'Ok, so I'll stay too. I'm on my annual leave from work anyway so it's no hassle at all.'

'Cristiano...' Clarissa began holding her wine glass aloft '...You know that I'm here for you always right?'

Smiling a sad smile, Cristiano took his glass and tapped it against hers.

Not breaking eye contact the two took a sip from their glasses.

~~~~~~~~

That was the first sip of many for that evening.

Before she knew it, Clarissa was in the back garden sitting in the hot tub with Cristiano right by her side. They had found her old bikini that she had kept at Cristiano's house just in case the occasion arose; as she sat in the hot bubbling water she thanked her lucky stars that she stuck to working out which enabled her to squeeze into the bikini.

'Wow, didn't think you'd still fit into that after all these years!' Cristiano joked taking a sip from his glass.

'You're not the only superstar athlete around here' Clarissa replied flexing her arms in a mocking fashion causing Cristiano to choke on his drink.

The alcohol in her blood stream caused Clarissa to burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter.

After a few minutes once she had composed herself, Clarissa lay her head on Cristiano's shoulder and gazed up at the stars reminiscent of their younger years.

'This is nice' she commented, a drunk happy grin etched on to her face as she closed her eyes and let the sound of the hot tub fill her ears.

'Yes, it is' Cristiano replied staring straight ahead, no it wasn't just nice he thought, it was more than just nice, it was perfect, it felt comfortable, inviting, it felt like where he belonged.

He quickly shook his head, in an attempt to dismiss the drunken thought from his mind.

As he did so, he accidently shook his shoulder causing Clarissa to stir and sit upright.

She smiled as she leaned in Cristiano was greeted by a trickle of water along the side of his face; Clasrissa had lifted her hand out of the water to move a strand of his hair back into place that had become loose.

As she made a move to sit back down Cristiano gently took hold of her hand, holding her in position. They stayed gazing into each others eyes and Clarissa saw a glimmer of something in Cristiano's eyes that she had not seen before whenever he looked at her.

Before she could grab a hold onto what was happening, Clarissa had moved forward, the alcohol coursing through her veins had given her courage. She did so she closed her eyes in anticipation of the contact that she so dearly longed for.