Chapter Two

Chapter 2

"He has more questions." Haymitch tells me three days later at breakfast.

"He's asking for you."

Without a second though, I get up from the table, leaving my tray of food and grabbing my breakfast roll. Haymitch and I walk together, myself munching on the roll even though my hunger is gone at the thought of seeing Peeta again. I'm eating it for the baby, his baby. I'm eating it for him. We get into his observation room overlooking his room, I see even after a few days, his cheeks are shades of pink. Not from blush or heat, but from eating. I wonder if I had something to do with that... We go through the same things as before. I am going to call it protocol, my demands and their consent. I head back in, more hopeful and the guard gives a small smile this time. One never looks at me, this one looked sympathetically at me last time, this time a smile. He buzzes me in and I walk straight inside, standing behind the closed door. He looks to me and I swear he almost smiles at me.

"Hey."

"Hi." I say back, trying to look at my feet, but finding it impossible.

"Come and sit. Your cinnamon bun feet must be hurting."

I smile, this time I cannot hide it. I walk over and sit in the chair, putting my feet up and sighing.

"Better?"

I nod with a smile, thanking him softly.

Something catches my eye and I look down, seeing his hand turn back up to face up at me. I look over at Peeta and his eyes are slightly vacant. I take his hand and do what I did last time, rubbing my thumb alone the top of his hand. His eyes close and I hear him sigh, relief I think. This may be our protocol...

"How far along are you?" He asks, eyeing my stomach.

I know it's my stomach he's eyeing off and not my breasts, I'm wearing the uniform and it covers my breasts from sight.

"Twenty-five weeks."

"So, over six months?" He clarifies after a little bit of time.

I nod, "Yeah."

"And pregnancies go for..."

"Forty weeks." I confirm.

He nods his head at me, then shaking it a little bit when his eyes close.

"Not long left?"

I shake my head, "No."

"I was gone a long time wasn't I?"

"Yes. Almost three months."

His head shakes and I know that he's hating Snow at the moment, if the real Peeta is inside. The real Peeta would have hated anyone who stopped him from feeling the baby move for the first time, being there for the appointments we could have here in Thirteen.

"Did you keep it to yourself? The pregnancy." Peeta asks curious, he mustn't remember anything about the time I told him at all...

"No, I told you, on the way to the Capitol for the Games. As soon as I found out myself I told you. I knew you've known something was up if I didn't tell you straight away. You always knew when something was up with me before I knew it myself."

Peeta ponders on this for a while, probably searching through all of those distorted memories and hoping he can find one that isn't.

"You don't remember me telling you?" I ask, hoping it's not something that will set him off today.

Softly, he shakes his head no. I can see he's still sifting through those thoughts.

"It was in your room on the train, you held me and we just cried together..." I trail off, feeling a small swell in my eyes that I try to keep from falling.