Chapter Four

Chapter 4

Finnick announces he's getting married to Annie at breakfast the next morning. I'm happy for him. Of course I am. He's my friend and as happy as I've ever seen him. Prim got excited too, asking about how they're going to have it and everything surrounding the wedding. But, my mind is elsewhere.

"Katniss?"

I look up to see Prim looking at me, like everyone else is.

"Are you okay?" She asks, grabbing my hand under the table.

I smile at her, gripping her hand to assure her I'm fine.

"Yeah." I answer simply before arising from the table and walking away from them, breakfast half eaten.

It's eleven o'clock at night when I walk into the hospital. I'm wearing leggings, no shoes and one of Gale's shirts. It's not big enough, my stomach straining against the middle of it. He gave it to me from a new lot of clothes which he got given, because he's all muscle now. We're still friends. He knows I love Peeta. He knows I'm not going to change my mind. It's always been Peeta. Gale respects this and now we are just as we were before, without Gale's sexual tension making it uncomfortable. Now, it feels right between us. And he's helped me when I'm crying for Peeta. He's helped me so much. And I cannot repay him for his duties as a best friend.

It's quiet in the hospital. The most quiet it's been when I've come in here. I walk straight to Peeta's observation room, seeing him lying in bed, sleeping.

"We didn't think you were coming back today." I hear.

I turn and see the nice guard coming from Peeta's door. I smile at him and then look back at Peeta.

"I wasn't." I tell him truthfully.

We stay silent. I know something is going to come from his lips again. But, he doesn't for a while, I push him along.

"What?"

I look up at him and finally notice his features. Medium brown hair cut short and uniform, brown eyes looking everywhere and making sure everything stays the same, a soft face compared to the other guard who is absent.

"He had an episode because you didn't come." He informs me.

I gasp, looking back over to Peeta in the bed. In the dim light of the room, I notice his arms strapped back down and his face more strained than it has been. Now I feel horrible. Everything we built is gone, thanks to me. At this moment, I couldn't hate myself anymore.

"Can I still go and see him?" I ask him softly, looking up to him.

He's roughly the same build and height as Gale, but unlike Gale's fire, I don't think he could be capable of having it. Just from how kind he's been to me. He looks down at me and nods.

"I'll be right here if you need anything." He tells me.

I feel happy for a second, then hate myself again. As I walk around the corner to Peeta's door, I spin back around on my feet.

"What's your name?"

He looks back to me and smiles.

"Drake Haughter."

"Thank you, Drake." I whisper.

He nods and looks back to the button which buzzes open the door from that side.

When I'm inside, I see Peeta stirring. His eyes flutter open and I keep myself against the door. His eyes move to me and his arms pull against the restraints, more in a way to see if he's in control.