Chapter 53: Colder than Mercy

Author's Note:

I apologize for the absence lately, been busy crushing over a teacher. Now go read and cry, my little worms!! <33

────────────────

The room grew silent as you peered down at her cold, crystallized figure. Her final hazy breath came from her delicate lips, making the last cracks fainter. "B-.. Bela?" you stuttered out of your lungs as you grasped her shoulders, a lingering realization washing over your shivering spine as you stared astonished at her gray eyes.

Little snowflakes landed on top of her body, while a faint breeze blew through your hair. It felt like your heart stopped beating as the fact of her death dawned on you, and with a slow lean forward, you rested your head on top of her quiet chest, tears streaming down your cheeks as you wailed above her, refusing to accept that she had passed in your arms. Your thoughts weren't able to comprehend that your daughter fell on her knees the moment you headed inside the demolished castle, as your cries filled the kitchen walls and the soothing piano filled your ears.

Approaching, frantic steps burstrd into the kitchen, and with a horrified look to the side, you saw Cassandra's eyes fade into devastation as she saw you kneeling beside her older sister's crystallized body. "Bela?" she spoke underneath her breath, her yellow eyes wide as she immediately rushed over.

Cassandra quickly tossed her sickle aside and sank down beside her sister. "Bela, bela!" She brushed her shaking hands over Belas' cheeks as she gazed into her eyes, her lips wide in a horrifying gasp as a tear dropped down her pale cheek, before she narrowed her frightened gaze to you, silence falling over you both as she slowly shook her head. "This can't be," she whispered through her slow tears, a form of agonizing shock wandering over her words.

"I'm.. sorry, I tried." You sobbed out, burying your sorrowful face into your shaking hands.

Cassandra pressed her gloved hand against her crystalized palm, little flakes slipping through her fingers as she quietly repeated herself. "It was my fault, Bela." You glanced at Bela, then back at Cassandra, who slowly shook her head, continuously blaming herself while holding her sister. Nothing could have prepared you for to witness her lean forward and hug Belas's figure, her quiet, faint cries escaping her yellow eyes as she hugged her tightly in her quivering arms. "I'm so sorry, sister." With a hazy sight to the side, you glimsped at the broken window. As you stared at the white sky, a single white snowflake fell into the kitchen, as if the world around you had stopped turning.

"I can't believe he dared to touch you." Cassandra's cold words drew your attention back to her as she rose from the floor. Her eyes were filled with rage as she seized her sickle and smashed it against the counter. You jumped in your skin as you watched her toss and demolish whatever she saw in her sight. "I'll get you, Winters!" she shouted with anger, pacing to the kitchen double door.

You hurried up to her as she dashed by you, a dreadful expression on her face while her eyes red and in utter despair. "Cassandra, w- what.. what are you doing?" you urgently asked, grasping her arm.

She shook her head, shoving her arm from your grasp. "That disgusting piece of a man. I'll rip his fucking limbs from his own damn bones!" She snapped furiously, shoving the double door open with such force that she nearly broke the wooden door.

Your brows frowned further as she again recalled a name. "Cassandra, wait!" you shouted, chasing her through the dining room.

"I knew I should've brought him back to that damn chamber." She said, wiping her cheeks with her sleeve.