Chapter 55: Mother's Crown

Miranda smiled with a terrifying chuckle as she tightened her grasp on your chin, while wrapping her arm around your stomach as she looked at Maria. "Oh, really now?" She hummed dauntingly.

Maria's green eyes flickered to yours, then back to her sister, while the flame in her palm grew larger. "You don't want to taste my flames, sister." While they exchanged furious remarks, you could feel the floor beneath your heels vibrate slightly. Your eyes darted to the ceiling as you heard faint, shallow cracks suddenly appear on the main hall ceiling.

Maria's puzzled scowl shifted to the large golden chandelier swaying softly over the marble floor, before she narrowed her angered gaze to Miranda. "What did you do, Miranda?" Maria yelled, her perplexed expression spreading over her face as the gentle shaking grew increasingly rapid. The ceilling pillars sent an echoing shatter through the entire main hall, causing the area to quake violently, followed by the numerous vases and potriats that fell from the golden cupboards.

Your entire body trembled in fright beneath Miranda's grip, and her grin widened as she leaned closer to your ear. "It looks like the dragon has been unleashed, Y/N." She said with a weak giggle as she tilted her head towards the heavy chandelier shattering above you both.

Maria's shocked eyes traced along the long thuds that appeared all over the elegant walls before returning them to her sister. "What a shame." Miranda said with devilish smirk before disappearing into a swarm of black feathers, leaving you standing petrified in your bones. Maria let out a startled gasp as the loud cracks on the ceiling all centered in the same point, the glass chandelier hanging loosely above your terrified figure. "Y/N!" She shouted after you as your gaze turned to the chandelier, a faint breeze brushed over your skin as you felt your eyes fluttering with shock.

Your trembling lips let out a final breath as your eyes followed the falling chandelier above you. Maria's eyes widen with a fearful lean forward as she pushed herself quickly toward you, reaching her arm as far as her muscles could allow her before the large golden chandelier crashed to the floor, along with you. Unaware of your state, tears streamed down your shaking cheeks as your vision faded, accompanied by a deafening crash resonating through your ears.

Maria's hand instantly grabbed for yours, pulling your right against her chest. Without hesitation, she covered you with her wings and cradled your trembling figure securely against her racing chest. Shattering pieces of sharp glass punctured through her feathers as the pillars collapsed around you both. The floor rocked severely beneath you both as the thuds continued, and that was the last thing you felt before everything faded into pitch blackness.

────────────────────

"Y/N, Y/N, can you hear me?" A faint voice stung you out of your consciousness as it called out for you continuously. You struggled to open your eyes when you noticed a blurry figure in the corner of your eye.

"Y/N?" As your vision became slightly clearer, a faint, vague person appeared from your side. You glanced over to Maria, who appeared to be in a state of panic as she attempted to wake you up. "There you are." She let out a relieved chuckle as she leaned over you, laying her cold hands on your cheeks while gazing into your eyes, examining every inch of your worn face.

She raised her hand to her face and tossed her golden, long mask to the side, allowing her face to gaze upon you. You stared over her silky, long brown hair, which caressed down her cheeks, not a single feature on her face had changed.

Although everything around you felt strange, your mind couldn't accept the fact that she was kneeling beside you. After all these years, you finally get to see her, but at what cost? You only wished you could blame yourself for feeling joy or delight at seeing her again, but all you felt was anger for her after she let the underlying secrets to be exposed in front of your very eyes.