✵ Chapter 57: Fall from Grace

─────Week before the incident─────

You gently turned to each side of the bed, sighing softly beneath your breath while you waited for Alcina to come back to bed. Your gaze shifted to the warm, crackling fireplace on the other side of the chamber, while you waited patiently, but the longer you waited, the slower time passed. You straightened your back and rested against the headboard of the rich king-size bed, sighing deeply as you listened to the ticking clock on the wall.

After what seemed like an eternity, you flung yourself out of the warm bed and wrapped your black sleep robe over yourself before approaching the chamber door. You cautiously shut the door behind you and strolled through the long, dark halls of the castle, which shimmed along the serene candlelight that hued along the lavish walls.

You stepped down the wooden steps and turned the corner to the left, looking over Alcina's office door, which was just down the golden corridor. With a slow, silent touch on the door handle, you looked into the office, your gaze resting on Alcina, who was seated at her vintage dark oak desk in the center of her elegant office. With a soft sigh, you approached her, putting the side of your head against her arm as her focus remained on her documents on top of the desk.

"When are you coming to bed, Alci?" you asked with a small pout on your face, glancing over the paper sheets on her desk.

Her lips melted into a gentle grin when she heard your sleepy voice. "I am almost done, darling," she replied, attaching a paperclip to a yellow document envelope.

Your face turned grumpy as you tilted your head up, looking up to her. "You said that an hour ago, Alcina. Come on, it's late, you could finish it tomorrow."

Her gaze remained on the paper sheets as she spoke softly. "I know, my love. This is rather an important matter that needs my attention, you know, I prefer my work to be done before I can rest for tonight," she hummed, tilting her head to you, placing a kiss on top of your head.

You sighed again as she turned her head back to her work. "But it can wait until tomorrow," you murmured, ticking your forehead against her arm.

Her crimson lips couldn't help but giggle lightly as you held her arm, almost tugging on her white silky dress as she tried to do her duties. "Aren't you a little grumpy today, hm?" she muttered softly with a chuckle, placing you comfortably on her lap as you held onto her, refusing to let her continue with her work.

"You've been working all day, Alcina," you murmured again, resting your back against her chest while she laid her chin on top of your head. While she remained focused on the documents, your gaze followed her as she signed a sheet with a golden feather pen, her handwriting revealing exquisite cursive lettering as she took notes in a notebook. Your eyelids fluttered slowly as the gentle crackling fireplace flooded over your ears. "Don't fall asleep now, my dear," she said with a soft smile as she felt you falling asleep against her chest.

Your head lifted as she startled you awake from your light sleep. "No, I am not," you replied, rubbing your weary eyes.

She chuckled, tilting her face toward you, her eyes resting on yours as she smiled broadly, her pearly teeth revealing themselves as she spoke through her soft laughter. "Mhm, I can tell you're feeling sleepy, it's all written on your little pretty face."

A soft blush spread across your cheery cheeks as you shook your head with a smile. "Mm, no, I was just closing my eyes for a second." You said, taking a serious posture as you stared down at the documents.

She chuckled gently and shifted her eyes to the desk. "If you say so, darling."

With a yawn, you peered over the paper sheets strewn on the desk, which didn't look familair to you. But then again, she had a thousand of them laying around the office. "Hm, what are these documents, Alci?" you asked with curiosity, gesturing to the papers and envelopes.