Prologue - edited

Hey guys, have decided to post this as it's been sitting finished for quite a while now!! Hope you all enjoy it and Cholmondeley is pronounced "Chumley" It's one of those old english words like Featherstonhaugh ... does anyone know how to say that?!

Anyway if you like Julia Quinn and Stephanie Lauren's then hopefully you'll like this too!!

Please note this is NOT a Dr Who fanfiction... if that's what your hoping for i'm sorry and maybe check out my Harry Potter one's instead.

Enjoy XX

~~~

The teapot flew across the room, smashing to pieces on the mantle of the granite fireplace; Judith flinched but stood her ground setting her shoulder’s against his anger. She could understand his anger, the pain she’d inflicted, hell she was feeling it too. But she had never promised and he knew that.

“You’re a damn fool.” He roared coming up to her, pressing his finger against the spot between her breasts, the spot that he’d been with enamoured not an hour previously. “Judith, you cannot marry him now.”

“I can and I will.” She stated, “I have too James.”

“Don’t call me James.” He hissed, the sound of his name from her lips was just that fraction too close to his heart. “You’ll marry me or I’ll god damn carry you to Gretna Green and force you too.”

“You’ll have Richard’s family ready to kill you.” She stated as the tears began to prick the corner of her eyes.

“And who’s Richard’s family, the Cartwright’s, a bloody baronet?” he laughed, the sound was bitter and hollow against her ears, she hated it. “A mere baronet, I’d eat him for breakfast. I neglected to tell you something about me Judith, my grandfather is the Marquis of Rutland, I’m his heir. If you married me, you’d be rich beyond your wildest dreams; no one could touch you.”

“I’ve already promised Richard I’d marry him.”

“Shall I tell you another secret Jude, a secret that you’re dear Richard won’t like?” He hissed pulling her into his arms, wrapping her around him as he gently kissed her shoulder; unconsciously she melted against him. “I took your virginity love; he hadn’t managed that despite having ruined you.”

“No, he told me he did.” Judith gasped, “No he was sure he did, he gloated about it.”

“Oh Jude, believe me when I say you’re mine.” He whispered kissing her lips harshly until she subdued and kissed him back, then he softened and loved her lips with his. “Jude, say you’ll marry me.”

“James, I can’t.” she said as she pulled herself away from him, the anger oozed from every pore. “James, please.”

He stiffened as his mind was finally made up, drawing himself to his full height he looked her one final time in the eyes. “Good bye Miss Cholmondeley, have a nice life.” He spat slamming the door behind him as he left.

Keeping herself together, Judith sat down and poured herself a cup of tea, only to find it ice cold. “Maria!” she called out to the maid who should be close by, “Could I have another pot of tea please?”

“Miss, are you alright?” Maria asked pausing in retrieving the pot and putting a hand on her mistress’s arm, “You’re crying.”

“I’ve made the wrong choice.” Judith admitted, “I wish I’d never left St Ishmael’s, I just want to be sixteen again.”

“It’ll work out in the end Miss; I’ll bring you up some drinking chocolate instead. You get yourself up them stairs and into bed before you’re too exhausted to do it.”

“Maria, have you ever been in love?” Judith asked turning to the maid as she paused by the door .

“No Miss, I ain’t.”

“I wish I were not in love with him.”

“It’ll be alright, you’ll be married soon enough.” She smiled, “Now off you go, I’ll even come and brush your hair if you like.”

“Thank you Maria, but could I do yours instead?” Judith asked, wanting to keep her hands busy while her mind was screaming for her to chase after James.

“If it’d make you feel better Miss.” She grinned before disappearing down one set of stairs, while Judith traipsed up the other.

---

“Did you do it then?” Susie asked; the words leaving her lips as soon as the door opened to reveal her brother, she flinched as the door bounced back off the frame and he stormed past her into the library. “James what happened?”

“She said no.” he growled turning to his twin sister who was standing with arms akimbo. “Susie, I took her right there on her grandmother’s sofa, made her sob in pleasure, and she still said no.”

“James, you cannot make a girl love you by doing that.” She exclaimed shutting the doors around them, “Who is she?”

“I know she loves me, she told me. Sue she told me she’d rather marry me and live on a god damn boat over that tosser she’s marrying.”

“I don’t know what to say.” Susie walked over with a sigh as she wrapped her arms around her brother’s waist to simply hug him better. “It’ll be alright in the end James. I promise.”

“You can’t promise this one Susie, no one can fix this.”

“What are you going to do, James I miss you and so do the girls!” she exclaimed, “Please don’t go back off to sea, we need you here.”

“I can’t be here; I can’t be in the same place as that man without wanting to kill him.” His hands gripped her shoulders and she nodded, knowing it was futile trying to argue with him like this. “I’m going to be gone by Friday.”

“James, don’t you want to wait in case she flakes and runs to you.” Susie whispered, hoping that would bring some light back into his eyes.

“Judith won’t do that, she’s the best kind of woman. She’s promised Cartwright she’ll marry him and that’s it, she will.”

“Trust you to fall in love with the world’s most awkward woman.” Susie grinned, “Bridge is going to apologise when she gets back from her walk with Grandma.”

“Is she alright, not too heartbroken?” he asked with a frown, two heartbroken Cooper’s is not a good thing, especially in one house.

“No, in fact she rather fancies finding a naval officer to sweep her away now.” She smirked and James laughed.

Maybe his sister and nieces were just what he needed right about now, family who’d never leave him. But then again, he’d thought Judith wouldn’t leave him; not after professing their love for one another so blatantly.

“James, don’t think so hard.” Susie stated punching her brother’s leg to grab his attention, “Things happen for a reason, so don’t be so serious... My brother is not serious.”

“As long as we avoid anything slightly related to Judith Cholmondeley, Cartwright or marriage.”

“Deal.” Susie grinned happy to see her brother smile, even if it was a sad one.