Chapter Eleven

“Bradgate Park home to Lady Jane Grey!” Carla gasped spinning around to look at her brother and sisters, with the exception of the oldest two and the very youngest who was staying with Elsie. “Oh look there’s a stream to paddle in!”

Edward smiled as Carla reverted back to being twelve and fell to the ground to remove her shoes and stockings, Lizzie close behind her. “Don’t you want to go for a paddle, it’ll cool you down.”

“No.” Sally stated looking at the stream with her nose scrunched up, “It doesn’t look animal free.”

“You’re a funny one, sweet.” He grinned taking her hand and walking along the banks with her instead. “It’s very pretty isn’t it?”

“Yes, I like the hills and the trees.” Sally stated, “Can we live here?”

“No, it’s private but allows visitors.” He laughed, “And anyway look at those ruins, we’d get wet with the first rain!”

“Eddy!” she laughed shaking her head, “We’d put a roof on silly!”

With a grin from Edward and a squeal of delight from Sally, he swung her up and onto his shoulders, her hands grasping his chin for support. “Relax Sally, or I’ll be the one being beheaded.”

“Eddy!” Carla squealed with delight, “There’s fish here, come tell us what they are!”

For the first time in months Edward felt himself relax and play older brother again, teasing his sisters and earning sticks being thrown at him as punishment. Nothing could make this day any better; the sun was out, his sisters were laughing and there was even some lemonade and cake awaiting them in the basket for their picnic once they reached the middle of the park.

“I’m going to dip my feet.” He declared as they got to a deeper section of the stream and Lizzie and Carla climbed out for fear of ruining the hems of their dresses.

“You’re a big child really.” Carla laughed picking up his boots as he slipped down the high bank and landing with a splash. “Is it cold?”

“It’s beautiful.” He sighed as the cooling took immediate effect. “Where’s Sally?”

“She’s over there.” Lizzie said after quickly scanning the area, “Oh and Miss Houghton’s with her! Let’s go say hi!”

---

Gwen had been standing inspecting the grounds for a good place to set up Aunt Sylv’s chair before running off to explore with Charlie when a small pair of arms attached themselves to her waist. With a start she span around to see the dark hair of her best friend.

“Sally!” she laughed scooping her into a hug, “What are you doing here?”

“We’re on holiday!” she laughed kissing her cheek, “I’ve missed you!”

“I’ve missed you too.” Gwen grinned, “This is my Aunt Sylvia and Charles White my other best friend. This is Miss Sally Cartwright, my other best friend from London.”

“Oh aren’t you cute!” Aunt Sylv gushed waving her over, “Come and tell me about your holidays.”

Charlie came over grinning like a Cheshire cat, “I still can’t get over her being four; there’s two more coming.”

Gwen spun around and saw Carla and Lizzie barrelling towards them, “We’re so glad we saw you!” Lizzie gushed hugging her quickly.

“This is Misses Lizzie and Carla Cartwright, Mr Charles White and my Aunt Sylvia, Mrs Cliff.” Gwen laughed feeling her pulse quicken at the wonder of who brought them all the way here from London.