Chapter Fifteen

Gwen offered Aunt Sylv her arm as they alighted from the carriage, carrying them to the Grey’s home just a few miles away at Groby. They had been invited for a small gathering which would include some dancing towards the end of the night, the younger Miss Grey had been very firm on that last point while looking at Charlie.

“I hope Sir Edward and the girls will be here, I enjoy their company no end.” Aunt Sylv stated as they sat in the saloon with lemonade and small pastries.

Gwen just smiled indulgently, her mind still full of the flowers he’d sent her only last week or the note that had accompanied them. Beautiful, but they hold nothing on my inspiration. Her cheeks flamed at the memory, the flowers had been a sight to behold and that ribbon; well Aunt Sylv had insisted she wear it in her hair tonight.

“That colour ribbon is amazing with your hair Miss Houghton, wherever did you get the idea from?” Lady Grey asked with a gasp of appreciation.

“It was sent with a bunch of flowers.” Aunt Sylv stated taking the younger woman’s hands and pulling her closer, “She tried to refuse and say she didn’t want to make a spectacle out of herself, but I’m glad I forced her.”

“Oh, me too.” She smiled her eyes twinkling at Gwen, “It’s about time you had some attention you’re too beautiful to have gone for so long without any.”

“Mama, the Cartwright’s are here!” Francis called, she was of age with Carla and consequently they’d made fast friends during a lavish picnic at Bradgate Park, which they owned.

Gwen closed her eyes pretending to wait for a sneeze to affect her, but really she was steeling herself against Edward’s charms. Sally had apparently told the matrons that Eddy has told them that he’s going to marry her.

It wouldn’t be quite so hard if he wasn’t quite so perfect. She fought a sigh as she remembered that almost kiss months ago, 50% of the time she wished she’d let him kiss her. Now all she could do was be polite and not fall head over ears in love with him; that could only end in tragedy.

---

Edward,

Maria’s been in labour for a few days, please come home with the girls. I can be honest with you my dearest brother, I’m terrified we might lose her like we did mama. Please come home and tell me everything’s going to be okay, give me distractions with Sally and the girls.

Be here to hold my hand.

All my love, Elsie.

The note had stolen all of his breathe, stolen the world from around him. He’d managed to dodge the thoughts of what if, but now Elsie had voiced them, even over paper, there was no way he could hide them once more.

A knock sounded at the door, he looked up and saw Gwen standing in the open doorway only then realising he was crying, “Edward, are you alright?”

“I’m scared.” He admitted as she stepped towards him. “Elsie just voiced my fears and now they’re all I can think about.”

“Maria will be alright, she’s young and healthy.” She sighed stepping till she was standing just before him, her hands wringing together.

“Mama was healthy.”

“Your mama had seven children, seven pregnancies.” She laughed in an attempt to make him feel better; his hand caught hers and gripping it tightly. “She wasn’t as young as your sister… one baby won’t hurt her too much Edward.”

He pulled her forwards and rested his head on her stomach from his position on the chair before a desk. “I just want my sister to live.”

“And she will.” She cooed resting a hand on his back as the other ran through his hair, soothing him.