Epilogue

Gwen’s heart swelled as she caught Edward watching Anna dance at her come out ball, he was dressed gracefully in black and white; his customary colours. His shoulders were just as broad as the day she met him, everything was the same as they day they met apart from his hair which had started to speckle grey at his temples.

“I was waiting for you.” He grinned, turning to beam down at her as she wrapped her arm within his, “I thought you’d beat me here.”

“I sent a maid down to steal some cakes for me before.” She smirked kissing his shoulder as he laughed. “I’m relishing every stage of this pregnancy.”

“Me too.” he grinned as he kissed her nose, his eyes the only sign of the worry that consumed him.

They’d been married seventeen years and had yet to carry a child to full term, at first they’d been devastated but they’d learnt and adapted. It was a blessing that they’d had Sally and Anna to bring up else it would have been even harder for them. And now, in two months they might well have their own child, an heir to the baronet and marquis.

“Were the cakes good?” Edward asked wrapping his arms around her as they watched Anna drawing people in with her wicked sense of humour.

“Excellent, we should have them at the christening.” She grinned making him agree with a kiss. “She’s so beautiful and Sally too.”

“She looks just like mama.” He sighed, “I told her when she was four and she’s proved it to me time and time again.”

“At least you’ve gotten over your fear of childbirth now.” Gwen stated suddenly, it was true; four out of his six sisters had multiple children and he’d not panicked since the fifth nephew.

“Oh my love, I worry about you every day of my life.” He sighed crushing her against him, “I’m going to be out of my mind ‘til I have you safe in my arms chattering away.”

“Which will be minutes.” She smiled running her finger across his features, “I wish I could go down and watch her properly.”

“You’re rather large my love.” He smirked patting her protruding stomach. “I hope there are two in there.” Gwen rolled her eyes but he knew she was hoping the same, as they glanced down in unison Sally tipped her head back and waved at them, a glittering smile across her lips. 

“Come down for supper, I don’t want to leave you up here alone.” Edward smiled, bending forwards and kissing her temples. “All the dowagers have been asking after you, they’re sure to tell you all the horror stories.”

“Doctor’s daughter Eddy.” She grinned cupping his face gently, “You saved me.”

“You saved me before that.” He smiled leaning down and kissing her thoroughly before leading her down towards the dining room.

“Gwen.” The Marquis of Rutland smiled kissing her knuckles softly, “How are you and the babies?”

“We’re well thank you James.” Gwen grinned giving his hand a squeeze, “And we hope its babies, father can’t tell.”

“I hope so.” He grinned before shaking Edward’s hand, “I’m proud of you, I wish…”

“We know.” Eddy smiled turning to look at Gwen with a sad smile, “Let’s go and make Sally entertain us.”

“I think make is the wrong word.” Gwen muttered as the two men lead the way towards a table where most of the family were sitting.

“Here’s the princess.” Elsie grinned throwing her arms open to embrace her baby sister as Anna came over seconds later, “You look beautiful!”

“Thank you Else.” Anna grinned kissing her cheek, “I’ve danced every set, I didn’t think that was possible!”

“When you’ve got wit like yours Anna, few men will resist testing it.” Craig teased pulling her hair playfully. “I’m glad we taught you well.”

“I doubt you and Sally could have had more parents if you tried.” Maria smiled kissing her sister’s hand. “You’ve been spoilt.”

 “Yes I have, thank you Gwen.” Anna smiled, coming up behind her and wrapping her arms around Gwen’s shoulders. “I can’t describe how happy I am… you’ve been the perfect mother to me and I know my new niece will have the happiest life in the world.”

Eddy smirked passing his wife his handkerchief as she started to sob into Anna’s arms, “What about me Anna, aren’t you going to thank me?”

“For being a beast and embarrassing me at every turn?” she smirked looking into her brother’s laughing blue eyes. “Yes, I am. Eddy thank you for looking after me so well; I don’t feel like an orphan at all, just a loved daughter.”

Edward laughed pinching her cheek, fighting his own emotions as Gwen sobbed louder and pulled Anna back into her arms. “Mama would have been proud of you.”

Anna grinned at her brother who’d raised her as his own and then onto the Marquis of Rutland who nodded as well before adding, “And your grandfather, he liked hellions… might be why he liked me.”

Everyone grinned at his words before falling back into normal conversation, focussing on Anna and the baby in Gwen’s stomach. Edward reached over and pulled Gwen closer as she laughed and doted on his two youngest sisters. “I love you.” He whispered into her ear during a lull in conversation.

“I love you too, my yummy husband.” She grinned running a hand across her stomach, “And a yummy papa.”

“Seventeen years and counting.” He stated and she blushed nodding as he winked suggestively at her.