Chapter Five

Gwen sat by the fire in her father’s office thinking through the events of the day. She’d gone to Cartwright House expecting to find them all overcome with chicken pox or worse only to discover little Sally had invited her over for tea. It had been nice, almost like it was her own family, even when Mr- sorry, Sir Edward Cartwright had joined them.

A smile passed over her lips as the image of him with his shirt open popped into her head. She’d seen men before, her father being a doctor meant she’d even worked on men before. But she’d never seen such a perfect chest, it looked like it was made of rock and if she’d touched it; she knew it would feel like silk.

“Oh, you’re still up.” Her father said from the doorway behind her, “I did wonder why the fire was still lit.”

“Sorry, just thinking the day through.”

“The Cartwright’s?” he asked and Gwen nodded, passing him her milk to take a sip of. “I recognised Sir Richard when they pulled his body from the Thames.”

“The policemen said; Mr Cartwright called me in when they came.”

“You mean the new Sir Cartwright?” he laughed and she nodded. “What was wrong with them, you and Malc were gone a long time.”

“The little girl, Sally, invited me over for tea.” Gwen laughed, “She stole her brother’s card so she could do it properly, just forgot to mention that part.”

“How old is she?” he asked, a frown slowly covering his features.

“Four I think, she drew Uncle Malc pictures all day and literally pushed her siblings through the door so we could all have tea.” She sighed before frowning up at her father. “The littlest is only a few months old and Sir Cartwright has no idea what to do, the girls are coping but they can’t raise their sister. They’re seventeen, fifteen and four.”

“What about the older two?”

“I’m assuming they’ve their own families and I doubt Sir Cartwright would let them take her on. He seemed pretty resolute to look after them himself.”

“Don’t lose your heart to such a man, Gwenny.” He sighed kissing her head, “He’s happy for your help and the girls for your company, but nothing more.”

“I won’t Father, don’t you know me at all?” she asked a little insulted, “The girls are lovely and I’d like to be their friend.”

“As long as that’s it, remember you are the daughter of a doctor while they are nobility.”

“Like I could forget, their house was at least three times larger than ours.” She smirked, trying not to let her father’s words get to her.

“Good girl, anyway I need you here to help me. Especially since your Ma passed.” He grinned patting her head. “Cap the fire before you go to bed.”

“Will do.” She sighed as he left her alone again, only this time she was frowning as her father’s words sunk in.

She had been mistaken when she said she felt like they were her own family, they’re just friendly people. She could never fit in with them; she’s just a doctor’s daughter and would probably marry a doctor as more of a career move than for love.

It’s just the way of the world.

---

“Look there’s Miss Houghton!” Lizzie exclaimed, jumping up from the bench beside Edward and running towards the petit woman on the other side of the park.

It had been over a week since she’d been in their home for tea, but Edward stayed seated, apart from not having the energy to run after Lizzie, it would look rather silly if he did so. Instead he settled on watching Miss Houghton grin and turn to hug Lizzie back, the old man on her arm seemed a little put out. He raised a hand and waved as Lizzie turned and pointed him out to Miss Houghton and the man, who must be her father if the red tint to his grey hair was any suggestion.