Chapter Six

Gwen’s heart sank in her chest as she looked at the other women entering Cartwright House; there were far more than she thought there would be, and all of them in brand new dresses. Her new ribbons and sleeves failed in comparison, she must have sighed because her father spoke.

“I told you not to get your hopes up.” He tutted fixing his cravat as the hackney they hired was coming around to the front doors.

“I meant it about the other women and their dresses.” She admitted and her father frowned, he hated vanity even the most modest forms.

“It’s alright Gwen, you’re the most beautiful I see.” Uncle Malc stated flicking her chin making her roll her eyes as her father humphed loudly and pushed his way out of the carriage. “Don’t worry about him.”

“It’s hard.” She sighed and he nodded as they were admitted into the house.

“Miss Houghton!” Sally shouted barrelling her way through the adults and hugging her tightly. “I’m so glad you’re here, Lizzie and Carla were allowed to invite their friends too and they got carried away.”

“I’m glad you’re here.” Gwen smiled hugging her little friend back. “Did you pick all this?”

“Yes, I said I wanted daisies and Lizzie agreed so I got them.” She grinned triumphantly. “Doctor Houghton, Mr Green. Thank you for coming, there’s some brandy on the side over there; help yourselves.” 

“Thank you Miss Sally.” Uncle Malc smiled with a wink before they disappeared towards the other males present.

“You’re looking very pretty tonight.” Gwen smiled as Sally took her hand and they walked around the room.

“Thank you, but not as pretty as you. What’s your first name, can I use it?”

“Gwen, and I think you should call me by it.”

“You’re my best friend.” Sally stated, “Tomorrow, I’m going to draw a picture of us.”

“I’d love to see it.”

“Miss Houghton!” Lizzie gushed coming over with a grin, “I’m glad you’re here, come and meet my friends.”

“Come on Sally.” She grinned keeping a hand wrapped in hers.

“I don’t like them; they call me a silly little girl.” She whispered pulling her closer.

“Then they are silly little girls.” Gwen smiled, “And you are my best friend.”

Sally grinned and they disappeared into the mass of teenage girls, one grown woman and one little girl. They were all but eaten alive, one for her advice and for having spoken to a woman and the other for being a cute novelty at a dinner party.

“Sir Cartwright, it is very unusual to have a child and a doctor at a dinner party.” One of the more confident of the girls stated, her blonde hair curled and resting perfectly against her alabaster skin.

Gwen looked down at Sally whose lower lip was sticking out slightly, her straight, dark hair flat against her head. Gwen stooped down to her level and pressed a kiss to her cheek. “Don’t you think she’s a little bit too pretty?”

“How can someone be too pretty?” Sally asked, her voice wobbling slightly.

“My mama used to say that you’ve got a certain amount of pretty to go into everything, and I think that little Miss has used all her pretty on her face and none in her heart.”  She whispered making Sally giggle. “And I bet your brother told her off for being silly.”

“Do you think so?” Sally whispered as Gwen brushed away a stray tear.

“I really do.”

“What are you two doing down there?” Edward asked making them both turn and grin at him. “I’m scared, why are you smiling like that?”

“Gwen was telling me how people only have a certain amount of pretty; some people use it all on their face and not in their heart.” Sally stated leaving Gwen and taking her brother’s hand.

“I think Miss Houghton is very clever.” He stated looking directly at her.

“My mother used to say it.” She smiled tearing her gaze from his and looking down at Sally.

---

Edward’s heart lurched in his chest when he saw Miss Houghton crouched down by Sally, wiping a tear from her cheek. They were so close they must have heard the insipid Miss White ask why he’d invited certain people.  Then when he’d heard what she’d said to Sally, well he’d fallen headlong into love with her.

It was like a thunderbolt; sure he knew she was attractive, but this was different.  He’d known he could never marry a woman who didn’t like his sisters and now he’d found one who loved them as he did.

“Miss Sally Cartwright I believe.” A deep voice stated from beside him, Gwen’s eyes widened and darted from them to him.

Edward turned and saw the Marquis of Rutland, his biological father. “Yes, and who are you?” she asked allowing him to kiss her hand.

“My name is James, and I was a good friend of your mama’s.” he stated standing back up.

“You look like my brother.” She stated.

“That’s because your brother is going to be my heir too, so your mama made him look like me.” He smirked pulling a small chocolate out from behind her ear making her giggle. “Edward?”

“This is Miss Houghton, a friend of ours. Miss Houghton, this is the Marquis of Rutland my biological paternal parent.” He stated wanted her to know everything, but not so Sally would understand.

“A pleasure to meet you.” She smiled as he took her hand and bowed over it.

“You too Miss Houghton.”

“She’s my best friend you know.” Sally stated entering the conversation once more. “She’s my guest here.”

“Really?” he gasped and she nodded.

“Come see my drawings.” She took his hand in hers and dragged him away leaving Edward with Gwen.

“How’s Annalisa?” she asked suddenly and surprisingly loudly. “She must be getting quite big since I last saw her.”

“Three weeks ago?” he frowned.

“Babies grow really fast.” She shrugged looking a little defeated.

“Do you want to see her?” he asked disliking that look on her face.

She smiled and nodded, with a small smile he reached for her hand and pulled her from the crowded room, towards the stairs to where Annalisa would be with her wet nurse. Edward could feel her beside him as they walked through the house, he even knew when she tripped over the edge of a runner carpet and could feel the suppressed laughter pouring out of her.

“Gwen.” He laughed pulling her to a stop, “Did you fall over?”

“No, of course not.” She giggled putting a hand over her mouth before laughing in earnest. “Sorry, you know I did; I almost took you with me.”

“Yes.” He admitted, “Gwen, what would you do if I kissed you?”

“Remind you that I am the daughter of a doctor.” She stated stiffly as his hand cupped her cheek, gently pulling her with him into the shadows.

“So?” he questioned, not understanding. He knew very well who she was, and indeed who he was.

“You are a baronet, the heir to a marquis.” She whispered, “You cannot ruin me, it’s not polite.”

“A kiss won’t ruin you.” He stated amused at her naivety, though her eyes seemed wise.

“It will from you.” She whispered as he dropped his head down to hers. “Edward?”