❝ 𝟎𝟏 ❞

━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Can't I just go to a regular school? I swear I'll be a good girl," she groaned, feigning innocence.

The man, who drove the car, laughed. "You? A good girl? I think we're pretty passed that," he grinned as he looked over at the young girl.

He noticed the tiredness in her eyes, one she usually carried around with her.

"Look, I know it's tough, but would you rather move from family to family, until you end up with nothing when you become eighteen and are no longer in our care? It's the best - and pretty much - the only way."

Quinn rolled her eyes, resting her head on her palm as she gazed at the river flowing from her right, meeting a large forest.

"Redwood Academy is a good school that provides good care, a place to stay, and food on your plate. I know it's not much, and not what you deserve, but you'll have to make it a good home for yourself during your time there. If not for yourself, then do it for me," he told her, a sense of care in his warm eyes.

She let out a deep breath before nodding. "Fine, I'll see what I can do.."

He raised an eyebrow.

"And thank you, Raymond.. for, you know, helping me and stuff.. I wouldn't have survived this shit without you," she looked over at him, her loose comment of appreciation laced with a genuine tone.

"Yeah, yeah. You owe me," he said with a chuckle.

_________________

"We're here," Raymond parked the car into the terrain's large parking lot.

"It's a cult," she stated with a nod of confirmation as she saw the building.

The Academy stood grand and imposing, its entrance boasting a long stairway that stretched towards the enormous wooden doors. It had seven floors, and magnificent roofs with towers that adorned multiple flags.

It definitely did not look like it was in her budget range.

"Oh fuck off, it's not," he rolled his eyes as he grabbed her bags from the trunk.

She threw a bag over her shoulder and stared up. "It looks like it used to be a psychiatric hospital in the 1800's."

"Stop."

"Only in a zombie apocalypse would this be the ultimate spot."

Raymond pushed a bag into her arms to shut her up. "Shut it, the principal is here."

Just as he spoke, the principal of the school stepped forward. It didn't take long for her to notice him-- with his handsome suit, dark eyes and a stoic expression.

"Quinn Avery, I presume?" He raised an eyebrow at the girl.

Her breath hitched as she experienced the first glimpse of his deep voice.

As seconds passed where Quinn stared silently, Raymond had already taken the principal's hand into his own to shake. "Yes, that's her. I'm her mentor from foster care, Raymond. Pleasure to meet you."

"Right, the pleasure is mine," he shook Raymond's hand, however, she felt his dark gaze lingering on her as he spoke, causing her to glance away.

Raymond cleared his throat to catch her attention, and her eyes widened as she returned his gaze. "Right, hi," she finally looked at the principal.

"Hi," he smiled at her, but it almost seemed fake. "My name is Mr. Gardner, and that's how you will address me. I will be your principal and your English professor. I will also personally take you into my care, and if any trouble occurs, it will be reported back to me. Is that clear?"

Her eyebrows raised in surprise at his firm tone, glancing at Raymond to see if he wasn't joking.

Mr. Gardner cleared his throat impatiently, and began to repeat his question in an even firmer tone. "Is that clear?"

"..Yeah, sure," she nodded slowly, still caught off-guard as they remained eye contact - the principal with a faint smirk and a dark gaze full of intensity, while the girl returned it with wide, uncertain eyes.

"Great! So, do I take her stuff to her room..?" Raymond questioned awkwardly. "Will she? Will you? Will a student-- or is a faculty member gonna do it..?"

━━━━━━━━━━━━