Chapter 1.5

"Kenny!" Mika shouted, rushing toward me. "A boy in my class stole my hairpin.

I scooped her up into my arms and gave her a big hug. "Maybe he likes you."

Screams shattered through my ears as I set her down and watched the swarm of pests race toward me. All of Indira's friends were over again to do school work as they did every night.

Lyssa gripped my shirt. "You met the Crown Prince!"

"What was he like?" Inara asked, just as Nadia shouted, "is he tall?"

Then Indira joined in again, "is he just as handsome in person?"

The four girls screeched again, grabbing at my arms like rabid beasts as they jumped up and down. Their faces beamed with undiluted excitement and jealousy.

Lyssa's eyes widened and she batted her lashes. "Can we meet him? Pleeeeeease?"

"I'll ask."

"Really?"

"No!" I managed to shake all the pests off. "Now back away from me."

"Kenny. Kenny. Kenny. Kenny. Kenny." Indira called me over and over again as I sauntered toward the bar and I was just about ready to lose my shit.

"What?!" I exclaimed and spun back.

She forced the most innocent and sweetest expression onto her face before asking, "is he hot?" A devious grin snaked its way onto her lips.

I swung my arms wide and answered, "hotter than the sun."

"I know you're being sarcastic," Indira crossed her arms, "but I'm sure he is as hot as the sun so jokes on you."

My mom waved her hand toward all the children, sending them back to their tables to finish their work. "Leave him be. He's tired."

I made my way around the mahogany bar and pulled several glasses off the top shelf. While my family was busy pestering me about the Crown Prince, there were several customers in the shop who hadn't been served yet.

My Mom leaned against the bar, resting her arm atop the curved counter. "What about the women?"

"Mom," I groaned, and rubbed my face in my hands.

"Fine. I know it's probably confidential."

Carrying a tray with seven glasses of water, I strode to the back of the restaurant. "Sorry this wasn't brought out with your food," I murmured, setting a glass down at each person.

The women in their center looked up at me. "Is it true that you're working for the Crown Prince?"

"Unfortunately it is." I scurried back to the bar before she had a chance to ask anything else.

"Maybe you should ask the Prince for dating advice."

I glared at my Mom, who was already pretending to be focused on something else. Such a Mom thing to do.

"He is also single and if you met him, you would understand why so I don't suspect he would be much help."

She just turned back to the drinks she was mixing.

Koa blurted out, "maybe he's gay!"

"Koa!" My face burned, "don't start rumours about the Prince."

"What's he going to do? Kill a twelve year old girl?"

"Honey, we need more peppers." My Dad stepped up beside me, gently nudging my Mom away and waited until she was out of the room before he spoke. "I'm sorry your Mom signed you up without asking. If you don't want to go back, that's fine with me."

That look on her face, the excitement in her eyes- I couldn't shake it. "It's okay. It makes her happy."

A gentle hand patted my back. "What makes you happy matters too."

"Honey!"

My Dad sighed. "Don't rush into marriage, son. I love your Mom but some days..."

"Honey!"

"On my way!" He offered me a lopsided grin before making his way to the stairs leading to the basement.

Koa plopped down onto a stool tucked up at the bar and patted the top of the counter with her empty glass. "I'll take another one. It's been a long day."

I shook my head and filled her glass with soda. "I can imagine."

"So you think the Crown Prince is gay, huh?"

"What? No."

She crooked a finger and I leaned forward as she whispered, "tell that to your cheeks. They're as red as a sunburn."

I chuckled. "Can you please act your age for once?"