Chapter Three

Two days had passed since the participants arrived. We spent the entire day yesterday sitting around the courtyard while the ladies introduced themselves to each other, chatted and ate, and managed to fight for a few moments to speak to the Crown Prince.

They all seemed quite lovely, though the Prince did not appear drawn to any one in particular. Surprisingly, he was kind and attentive when they spoke, asking them questions about their lives and remembering small details they had shared.

From the side, I watched all of the women anxiously and excitedly hang off of every word pouring out of the Prince's mouth. Those same words that didn't make their way into my ears. Only a few days working for the Prince and I was already more exhausted than I had been before.

I threw my hand over my mouth as yet another yawn forced its way out. I fought the others to remain hidden, but a few were too strong. I was too drained.

Another yawn tried to break through-

"Am I boring you, Kenzo?"

The Prince cast a glare at me. Irritated, cold- so at odds with the emotion behind his words. He was not only mad believing that my yawns were from boredom but also personally offended.

Every pair of eyes was on me, watching as I turned to the Prince and bowed apologetically. "No, Your Highness."

"What time did you sleep?"

"An hour after midnight."

The mug clinked onto the table and the Prince sat back, stretching an arm across the top of the bench. "Well we know you don't have a wife so what kept you up so late?"

I answered quietly, "I was working."

"Where?"

"My family's restaurant."

He seemed to forget the audience standing before him, waiting for his attention. "Do you have siblings?"

"Yes. Three sisters." The rapping of my heart in my chest rushed to my ears.

"Why don't they help?"

"They do, but two of them are small."

"What time do you wake up?"

"Some time between half an hour past five to six."

Those sharp golden eyes went wide. "To be here at seven?"

"Yes. To travel here, it takes me about forty-five minutes to an hour depending on how busy the road is."

"On horse?" he exclaimed.

I swallowed the hard lump burning in my throat. "No. I walk."

Gasps sounded through the crowd. Something flashed through the Prince's eyes and despite the shock branding each lady's face, his eyes never drifted away from mine. Not even for a second.

The hand on his knee tightened. "Is that why you look so thin and unwell?"

I shrugged. "I suppose."

"Try to sleep earlier," he said. "You are of no use to me if you're tired."

How obnoxious. Had we been alone, I would have glared and gritted my teeth.

Squeals came from the group. "He's so caring," some of them purred, while others murmured, "how dreamy."

I merely sighed and murmured, "yes, Your Highness."

...

"Kenny!" Mika cheered as she raced between the tables to reach me, and I crouched down to give her a hug.