Chapter Two

Ten beautiful, elegant women dressed in the finest of clothing, decorated with the most luxurious jewelry and makeup stared at me as I stood in the center of the Crown Prince's courtyard. They all stood the same, with their arms tucked gracefully in front of them and their court ladies standing behind.

Along the short stone wall around the area, the overgrown trees provided plenty of shade from the blazing sun. Despite the warmth and the heaviness of their clothes, not a single sweat bead could be seen on anyone's face.

"Hello and welcome to the palace," I said and bowed. "I hope everyone's journey was easy and enjoyable. My name is Kenzo and I am one of the Crown Prince's two attendants. If you need anything at all, please let me know; but, I am only here during the day-"

"Where do you go at night?" the lady in emerald interrupted.

"Home."

The woman to her left jumped in, "an attendant that leaves at night?"

"Yes?" I answered hesitantly. "If you need anything during the night, you can ask Nefeli, the Crown Prince's main attendant."

"Main attendant?"

The rapping in my chest only hit harder. "Yes, I was only hired to assist with this program."

The small, cute lady at the end raised her hand.

I smiled at her. "Yes?"

"When will we meet the Prince?" She seemed excited. Still, her fingers trembled at her side.

"The Prince will join you all for dinner tonight and then tomorrow you will be given a chance to speak to him one-on-one and introduce yourselves."

"Try not to be too nervous," the emerald lady offered, "you are still quite young and very beautiful. You will have many great suitors even if the Prince doesn't choose you."

I realized then, remembered, how important something like this was for daughters of wealthy families. Unlike my sisters, they couldn't attend school with their friends. They couldn't choose a job they enjoyed. They were trapped in a life. A life that many of them did not want.

Pity snaked through me at that thought. Being wealthy seemed to be the lifestyle with the most freedom, but perhaps it was actually us. Those of us who were not expected to uphold a role or a job or an image. Those of us who were truly free to decide.

The reality of their lives in comparison to mine devoured me.

The lady in lavender cleared her throat. "Kenzo, may I approach you for a moment?"

I gulped. "Of course."

She sauntered toward me on silent, long strides. When she reached where I stood, her eyes went wide with admiration and she raised her hand toward my face. "Your skin is flawless. May I?"

"Sure?"

She ran her hands over my face, poking and prodded, pinching my cheeks and pulling them tight.

"Kenzo!" A ghost in the night, Nefeli made her away across the courtyard. Like always, her long auburn hair was braided and pulled in front of her shoulder. In the mornings, it was perfect. Not a wisp out of place. But by night, her bangs had fallen in front of her eyes and wisps danced out in every direction.

"Everyone, this is the crown prince's main attendant, Nefeli."

She offered the ladies a curt smile and leaned into my ear. "He would like to see you."

"Right now?" I whispered, but she only nodded.

Their faces were glowing when I turned back. "Please excuse me ladies. Nefeli can answer any questions you have."

...

I pushed open the door-

And whirled away from the sight, quickly slamming the door shut behind me. I stared at the doorknob and ground out, "where are your clothes?"

"I need you to help me choose them," the Prince answered. "That would require you to turn around and look at them."

As I glanced back, I was careful to not let my eyes wander or linger for too long. "The one on the right."

I made my way to the dressing table at the side, looking over the array of makeup scattered across. Clearly it all belonged to the Prince given that it was his bedroom, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. He certainly didn't need it because he was handsome enough on his own.

An arm brushed against mine, causing me to jump to the side as the Prince sat at the chair beside the table. "Do you know how to use any of it?"

"Some. But do you really need it?"

Lucca grinned. "Are you saying that I'm far too handsome to need it?"

"No I meant that a man traditionally only uses makeup to cover blemishes which you don't have."

His golden eyes narrowed- irritated. "So you think I'm ugly then?"

"What? No."

"My hair needs to be done," he said, and the pout he kept off his face could be heard in his voice, "but the makeup I will leave to your discretion."

I nodded and made my way around him. In one hand I managed to collect the long, shiny locks. The dark hair was soft and smooth against my skin- most definitely well-cared for and fit for a Prince, unlike my shaggy hair.

His hand grabbed mine as I reached for the brush. "Use your fingers." His voice was raw, enticing. 

A shiver raced up my spine. Why would he ask me to do something so intimate, so inappropriately intimate for an attendant.

Gently I ran my fingers over his scalp, pulling the hairs apart.

A soft groan poured out. "That feels nice," he whispered as his head fell back against the chair.

A sparkling red stone caught my eye at the corner of his table. A ruby at the top end of a hair pin. He kept my hair pin.

"Why did you stop?"

"Sorry," I quickly said and continued, pulling the top half of the hair out of his face and pinning it at the back of his head.

When I was done with his hair, I moved onto his face. I bent forward, inspecting every inch of his skin for a blemish. To no one's surprise, there was not a single mark. Using one finger, I dabbed up some of the red cream and started rubbing it over his lips.

His eyes grazed over my face. "Your eyelashes are so long and thick."

I willed my focus to remain on the task at hand and not his words. Not the softness in his tone. "Thank you."

"Do you do something to them?"

"No."

Hands hooked around my waist, hauling me forward and I instinctively laid my hands on his chest to brace myself.

"Your hips are so wide," he said, staring at where he ran his hands down my sides. "But your waist is so thin."

"Yeah I don't eat very much and I work a lot." I laughed awkwardly.

The Prince said nothing more and rose from his chair to leave.