Chapter Six

After that encounter in the morning, learning that this new majestic beast I was entrusted to care for was actually the Crown Prince's horse, I couldn't think of anything else.

We were far too busy for me to speak with him about the matter. Yet I wondered if that was perhaps what he wanted. To keep me occupied so I would have no time to ask any questions, no time to return the horse again.

It was one thing to be gifted a horse- but to be gifted the Crown Prince's horse...

I made sure to not wear my emotions on my face when I was at work and especially not in front of the ladies. I had not spent a lot of time with them yet but they were eager to ask many questions about my personal life. Many questions I was not ready to answer.

So when I found myself alone in the massive training area, it was hard to resist being swept up by my thoughts, zoning out, and staring off into the view ahead.

At the most Eastern point of the palace, the Crown Prince's training area was as lush and extravagant as the rest of the place. Like the courtyard, it was bordered by a short stone wall, shrouded with immense greenery.

I set ten tables across the area, each facing their own targets along the outer wall bordering the forest. I wasn't sure why, but knowing or at least learning archery was very important to His Highness.

My eyes lingered over that familiar design- the Crown Prince's symbol carved into the arrowheads. The bow hummed, calling to me, daring me to pick it up. And when I did, I could feel the precision with which it was crafted.

I set the arrow in the bow, allowing the tailend to rest on top of my finger as I pulled the string back, readying myself to release-

"Someone has become very comfortable here."

Startled, my fingers snapped open and I watched the arrow fly maybe two feet away before it plummeted to the ground. With the lack of speed and force, it didn't even pierce the soft dirt beneath.

The Prince sauntered toward me, laughing so hard he had to wipe the tears from his eyes. "Are you good at archery?"

"Not really." I made to dart around the table- but the Prince grabbed my shoulder , pulling me back.

"Shall I teach you then?" The Prince said, his voice laced with temptation. "Raise the bow as you were."

I did as he said, staring down the point toward the target. A foot nudged between my ankles, kicking my feet apart and I would have tipped forward if not for the gentle hands that grabbed my shoulders.

Chills rushed down my spine as he ran a finger along my cheek and neck, pulling all my hair behind me.

"Drive the power into your legs, balancing equally on both feet and look down to your target."

"Like this?"

"Lift it slightly." His hand moved under mine, repositioning the height of the bow. "Pull back on the bowstring."

T he resistance on the bowstring was greater than what I was used to, stronger and tighter, requiring more strength than I could muster-

My eyes went wide as the Prince closed the distance between us and laid his hand over mine, adding his own strength to mine.

A warm breath danced across my neck. Every thought vanished my mind aside from how I could feel every inch of that body pressed up against my back.

"Hold it," he commanded and released his grip.

His fingers trailed teasingly up my arm, moving tormentingly slow as they reached my side. Lower and lower, they explored, drifting over my hip. The feeling was torturous. Like an itch you could never successfully scratch. The feeling of the Crown Prince's hand kept away from my body by only a thin layer of clothing.