Chapter Sixteen

"Kenny!" The Prince shouted as I made my way across the courtyard to the table and chairs Nefeli set up for his meeting.

"Good Morning, Sir," I said and bowed.

"Never mind manners. I need to ask you for a favour and I don't think you're going to be too thrilled about it."

I plopped down into the chair across from him. "Okay?"

Lucca's eyes seemed unsettled, his lip twitching at the corner. "The Crown Prince of Ryelar is joining me for lunch today. I had some jewelry with rare gemstones made for him to persuade him to accept my offer but given that you said he also likes men..." Teeth tugged at his lip. "Would you also flirt with him?"

"Oh, I-"

"I understand it's a big ask but I will pay you-"

"It's not that-"

"I mean if you could get him to accept the offer, I would be forever indebted to you-"

"Lucca!" I snapped more aggressively than intended and immediately sunk back into the chair from the words I was about to utter, "I would but I don't really know how to flirt."

A wave of relief faded across Luca's face, and he finally let a smile ease onto his lips. "What if I teach you?"

I only shrugged. "I can try."

Lucca stood from the chair and made his way around the table to me. And for some reason, my heart began galloping in my chest as I watched him walk toward me, as I looked over the expression on his face, the lustful gleam he schooled into his eyes.

"Banter, teasing, playful touching, batting your eyes," Lucca explained. "These are all ways you can flirt. Think about what you would like and start there."

"Umm, I guess I like when someone does something to help me out."

Lucca chuckled through the warm smile on his face. "Try something a bit simpler. Something like..." The Prince leaned forward and brushed a finger across my cheek. "You're so beautiful, Kenny." He began tracing the shape of my mouth. "Your lips are soft and pink."

Breathing. I wasn't breathing- I had forgotten how to breathe.

"But you're not only beautiful- you're also smart." Lucca grabbed my chin, tilting my face up to his. "You're responsible and hard-working. You don't let anyone push you around. You're not afraid to stand up for yourself and for others."

My mind was blank, but another part of me, much lower, was not.

"The Crown Prince is here."

Lucca shot up, instantly releasing my face. Nefeli's gaze snapped from the Prince to me, before returning back to him.

"Are you ready for me to bring him over?"

Lucca cleared his throat and returned to his seat. "Yes, thank you."

...

Lucca's meeting with the Prince was almost over and it was time for me to bring in the jewerly.

On light, graceful steps I made my way over, clutching the boxes in my hands. Flirt with him. Those were Lucca's orders and I would try, for him, but knowing the stakes at him only made me more nervous than I already was.

"Your highness," I said quietly and bowed.

"Nice to meet you," the Prince said as I walked over to his side of the table.

Purposefully, I bent over the table, arching my back as I set the boxes down in front of him. "A gift from His Highness."

One by one, I began to open the boxes to reveal the luxurious jewelry hidden inside. Red and blue and purple, the wide variety likely cost more than my parent's shop. Even with our apartment above it.