CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

"They're coming

"They're coming." Mike said, looking down the tunnel into the darkness. Growling continued to echo as they listened. "Run! Run!"

They raced through the tunnels as fast as they could without getting lost. With every roar sounding behind them, they push harder and faster.

"There!" Lucas yelled, watching a beam of moonlight shine just ahead of them.

"Go, go, go, go!" Steve yelled, staying back to make sure everyone was in front of him. He and Judy crushed on the ground to lift the kids though the hole, using all the strength they had left to get them to safety. First Mike, then Dustin, then Max and finally Lucas.

"Alright, come on." Steve said, preparing himself to lift Judy.

"What? No, you go." She protested, wanting him out of harm's way first.

"No, Judy, go."

"Come on!" Dustin yelled, reaching his hand back in the hole for someone to grab. But it was too late now. The demodogs were too close to escape. Barreling through the tunnel, Judy and Steve watched them, holding onto each other tight without a word spoken between them. They just knew. Not even the protesting screams above them could change their minds about what was about to happen.

They were going to die. Judy Hopper and Steve Harrington were going to die, holding onto each other and prepared. Judy's mouth hung open as she looked at Steve. During their race back to the exit, both their goggles and face covers had fallen, revealing their scared faces. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

Steve looked from inside the tunnel to Judy, seeing her already looking at him. She blinked slowly and watched his eyes. He was scared for only a moment but seeing in front of him, holding on and ready, he understood. He was at peace. He was okay with this being where it ended. Holding onto Judy, protecting her as best he could right until the very end.

It was a good ending for Steve.

But not for Judy. She couldn't leave it like this. The slow rumble of death beneath her feet gave her a newfound confidence. She slowly moved her hands from Steve's shoulder and up to his neck. She'd never done this before but if she didn't do it now, she'd never be able to do it again.

One more shriek from the monsters, right in front of Steve and Judy, pushed her over the edge. Standing on her tiptoes, Judy leaned forward holding onto Steve's face delicately, uber aware of the soft skin on his neck. His lips were softer, softer than she could've imagined. Judy could feel his subtle jolt of surprise followed by his body slowly leaning back in. The weight of his mouth against hers coupled with the charming touch of his hand behind her head, nearly sent Judy to her knees.

"Are we dead?" She heard him whisper, his quick breaths fanned over her face as she slowly opened her eyes to see Steve looking around. The touch of his lips on hers was like a phantom. She felt it even when it was gone. In a haze, she looked around too.

First at the tunnel where the demodogs had just come from and to the other end where they were still running to. Stepping away from Steve to see if he was still who he was five seconds ago and looking down at her own clothes, Judy realized that no, they weren't actually dead.

"Holy shit!" Dustin yelled, still hanging over the edge of the hole.

"We aren't dead!"

"You two kissed!" Dustin and Steve yelled simultaneously. Both exclaiming two very different things. Steve cleared his throat at Dustin and Judy couldn't meet either of their eyes, she too embarrassed at what she'd just done. She never thought she'd have her first kiss because she thought she was going to die.

Now she begged for death to take her away from the awkward silence that surrounded her. With the kids' help, Judy climbed through the hole and pulled Steve out. Standing upright on the ground, the Camaros headlights began to glow brighter and brighter, highlighting the dirt Judy was trying to brush off of herself. The flashlights in the kids' hands glowed brighter too.

Something was happening. All thanks to El.

It was all over because of her. Judy drove the group back to the Wheeler's house, where everyone eventually met back up at. Jonathan, Joyce, Nancy and Will came first, reeking of sweat, but lively as ever. Will was safe and free of the Mind Flayer and as tired as he was, he held on tight to his buddies.

Hopper and El came last, walking into the house slowly, watching as everyone surrounded Will. Judy turned around at the sound of the opening door and seeing her family alive brought her to tears. She ran up to El and grabbed into a hug with her father. His familiar scent engulfed her as she wept in his arms. He held on like he'd never done before. 

Everything was alright. There was no danger lurking around the corner anymore. They were safe.

(I hate the ending of the chapter but I don't know how else to do it)