CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

Nancy, Jonathan and Will fall-in behind them

Nancy, Jonathan and Will fall-in behind them. Jonathan, Nancy and Will walk out the front doors. Just behind them are Mike and Judy helping a still-sore El to the Wheeler wagon. Judy notices El's nose.

Hurrying out of the mall, Mike and Judy did their best to walk with a human limp at the sides. Lucas, Will and Max walked behind them to make sure nothing dangerous came from that way. And Nancy and Jonathan walked ahead to get the car unlocked and ready to go.

Opening the back hatch door to the Wheeler Wagon, Judy adjusted El to sit down, noticing the blood running from her nose.

"You're bleeding."

El brought her finger up to her nose and wiped away a small dribble of red, looking at Judy painfully. "I'm okay," she said, unconvincingly.

"Don't worry, you'll get to rest soon," Judy said, sitting next to El and Mike in the very back of the car.

They waited anxiously as Nancy turned the ignition from the driver's seat. But it wouldn't start. It didn't even putter.

"What's wrong?" Jonathan asked from the passenger seat.

"I don't know." She tried the ignition again. "You can't be serious. Come on!"

"Didn't your mom just buy this car?" Lucas asked from the middle row.

"Yes. I'm sure it's fine."

"Did you leave the lights on?"

"No!"

"Do we have gas?"

"Yes!" Nancy yelled at the younger teens. "Come on!"

"Just stop, stop!" Jonathan yelled with his hand out trying to get Nancy to let go of the car key she was about to break in half. "Just pop the hood."

The two of them got out and looked under the hood, leaving the rest of the car to tap their fingers nervously.

"What the hell?" They heard Jonathan say from inside. "The ignition cable is gone."

Suddenly, the deep roar of a car sounded in the distance. Everyone in the car turned to see, and Judy shoved her face into the back window to find headlights turned on.

Only yards away, a blue sports car revved angrily. Max and Judy knew right away who it was.

"Out of the car," Judy said at first. Nobody moved. "Out of the car! Now!"

She grabbed onto El quickly and practically dragged her out while Mike and the others stammered out of their seats.

Running back inside the mall, Mike passed El off to Max so that he could try and get through to Dustin. "Scoop Troop, do you copy? Scoop Troop, I repeat, do you copy? We're trapped in the mall and in need of emergency transportation."

El sat with Max as Judy disarmed one of the dead Russian mercs, grabbing the pistol from his cold hand.

"You're gonna kill him, aren't you," Max asked, scared.