CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE

Steve, Judy, Dustin and Max had done Eddie the courtesy of bringing him groceries the next morning to tie him over in the boathouse until things died down

The car on the way back to the lake was mostly quiet, a few mumblings here and there with the radio playing softly in the background. Steve had forgotten to take out the tape inside from the other night, the one that had 'These Dreams' on it. Steve made that tape with Judy in his room as they went through songs together one night.

He particularly liked to kiss Judy to that song. And Judy didn't mind either... until now.

Judy frowned at the radio as the song began to play softly through the car speakers, thinking back to the night before. Whenever she ejected the tape from the radio and shoved it in Steve's glovebox, she immediately sunk back into the seat, looking out the window before Steve could say anything.

By the time they made it back to the boathouse at Reefer Rick's, Dustin didn't even knock on the door when he pushed it open, giving Eddie a good scare as he held groceries up for him to view. "Delivery service!"

Steve made a wave from the door, hesitant to step in as far as the other three did—he did not want to get choked out by that broken beer bottle again.

Whenever they'd gotten Eddie situated, munching down on Honeycomb cereal as the rest of the group stood around him, they went over the information they'd learned since they'd been separated from him.

"So we got, uh, some good news and some bad news," Dustin said. "How do you prefer it?"

"Bad news first, always," Eddie replied, taking a sip of a lukewarm Yoo-hoo.

"All right. Bad news," Dustin started. "We tapped into Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you. Also, they're, uh, pretty convinced you killed Chrissy."

"Like, a hundred percent kind of convinced," Max added.

"And the good news?" Eddie asked, seemingly growing worried.

"Your name hasn't gone public yet," Judy answered. "But if we found out about you, it's only a matter of time before others do, and once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you."

"Hunt the freak, right?"

"Exactly."

"Shit," Eddie mumbled under his breath, panic seemingly starting to brew within him.

Judy wished that Hopper would've still been around, more specifically as police chief, now. Hopper would've known something wasn't right about the murder, just like he had known something was wrong with Will's disappearance, and with the vines spreading from the lab. Hopper would have at least heard them out, let Eddie tell him what he had to say. More than anything, Hopper would have believed him.

"So, before that happens, we need to find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence," Dustin said, trying to calm Eddie before he went into a panic.

Eddie, however, wasn't pleased. "That's all, Dustin? That's all?"