CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

The group had settled into the Byers home

The group had settled into the Byers home. With Will lying on the couch, asleep, Jonathan and Nancy watched over him. Hopper had called the police soon after coming into the house and had been fighting back and forth with them about what happened in the lab. Joyce had slipped away into Will's room and everyone left her alone. Everyone felt for her losing Bob, a kind man who only wanted to help his girlfriend and her sons. He truly was a hero to them all.

Max sat with Lucas, Dustin and Mike as they waited for Hopper to get off the phone. Judy stood by Dustin with her hands on his shoulders. He held one of her hands and rested his cheek on it, tired and ready to fall asleep.

Judy patted his shoulder to make him sit up as she saw Steve standing behind her at the kitchen sink, alone. Turning around to stand next to him, she leaned against the counter facing the window above the sink, looking over at him.

"You okay?" Judy asks, looking at his face in the moonlight coming through the glass in front of him.

"No. You?" He said, still looking out of the window at the back yard.

"I've been better." Judy half laughed, but she couldn't smile fully, not even to comfort Steve. He turned his head over his shoulder, looking into the living room. Judy looked in the same direction, watching Nancy rub Jonathan's shoulder as they waited for Will to wake up. Steve looked back towards the sink with a sigh. "I'm sorry." Judy says, quietly, sue she knew what he was feeling seeing the person he loved with someone else.

"Don't be." He shook his head. "This is all very... eye opening."

Steve finally looked over at Judy and pursed his lips in a tight smile. He picked up his right arm and slung it over Judy's shoulders. She molded into his side with her arm around his waist. His thumb rubbed small circles on her shoulder like he'd done on the way here. Judy could feel him put his head on top of hers, and she completed the hug by wrapping her arms fully around him. She kept her face in his chest as they embraced. He was so warm, something she hadn't felt for a while. And even after all the fighting and running he still smelled like his cologne and freshly cut wood.

He'd wrapped her so tight in his arms she almost forgot where she was and who was watching. As Hopper hung up the phone in an angered slam, Judy turned her head to look at the other side of the kitchen, noticing Dustin looking at her and Steve as she went.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Mike said from the table in the middle of the room. At Hopper's disappointed face, both Steve and Judy's arms went limp, slowly hanging back to their sides.

"We'll see." Hopper said plainly.

"'We'll see'? We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"We stay here, and we wait for help." Hopper didn't give Mike much of a chance before walking into the hallway, leaving only teens and kids to themselves. They all sat in silence, either not thinking about anything at all or thinking about every little thing.