CHAPTER FIFTY

"Alright, nerds," the Scoop Troop finally heard through the walkie talkie

"Alright, nerds," the Scoop Troop finally heard through the walkie talkie. Each of the gasped a little at the sudden break of silence. "I'm there."

"Do you see anything?" Judy asked Erica, clicking to walkie talkie.

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about."

"Any booby traps?" Judy replied humorously.

"If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?"

Judy sneaked a look at Steve and Dustin, unamused at the sassy little girl on the other side. The two boys were just as unamused as she was. "Thank you for that, Erica."

Seconds passed in eerie silence once again until Dustin perked up, looking through the binoculars. Judy could see just enough from far away to know that the metal door was opening.

"Free ice cream," said Erica through the walkie, standing in the middle of the storage room with her hand on her hip. "For. Life."

Judy smirked slightly at her while Steve ran his hands nervously through his hair, "Alright, let's get this over with," he said, standing back up again and walking towards the door that led to the stairs.

Shuffling into the secret metal room, Judy looked around at the shelves and cardboard boxes on the walls. Each of them had some logo from one of the stores in the mall. Judy took one off a shelf and groaned as the weight of the box caught her off guard. Steve met her in the middle of the room as she set the heavy box down.

He whipped out a box cutter, like it was a gun, and cut through the tape. Inside was a large metal case. Everyone looked curiously at it as Steve turned the handle on the top. Air hissed from it as he lifted the lid and vapor drifted out from the case. There were four identical cylinders amidst the vapors.

Steve started to reach inside the box again, but stopped shortly. Judy, Dustin and Erica all looked at him concerned. "Maybe you guys should, you know, stand back," he said, pushing his hands towards them in an effort to move them.

They did it by only a step, watching as Steve reached in and pulled out one of the cylinders. He held it up in the air, against the white light in the ceiling, revealing a tube of green shifting particles.

"That looks... radioactive, Judy said after struggling to find a good word for the substance in front of her eyes. It was too neon to be anything harmless.
Just then, the room shook, buzzing with an electric whirring noise. The one light flickered and everyone looked up above them.

"Was that just me, or did the room move?" Dustin asked. Erica whispered from next to Judy, "Booby traps."

Judy looked down at Erica for just a moment before stepping closer to Steve, "You know what, let's just grab that and go." She snatched the cylinder from Steve's grasp. Turning around, Dustin was already at the door panel looking at the buttons.