CHAPTER SIXTY THREE

'These Dreams' by Heart rang through the car as Judy pulled away from Steve quickly, still keeping her hands tangled in his hair

'These Dreams' by Heart rang through the car as Judy pulled away from Steve quickly, still keeping her hands tangled in his hair. With eyes wide and swollen lips hung open, Judy stared at his perplexed face.

"What?" He whispered, like it was nothing.

"That's not funny, Steve," she said, still sitting on top of him, still breathless from their heated romance. "You just said 'Nance'."

He stitched his eyebrows together. "What?"

"Don't act stupid," Judy moved back into her seat with Steve's hands reaching out for her tenderly. But she backed as far away as she could, looking almost scared in her wave of confusion. "Why would you say her name? Because of Eddie?"

"I didn't even know I said it," he said, leaning into the middle of the center console, not giving Judy the space she so desperately wanted.

What just happened? She thought. What is happening? Why would he say that?

"Oh. So it just 'slipped out'?" She said, quoting the boy from before. It was the only logical explanation for Steve to say it when he did. He was being spiteful and trying to get back at Judy because of Eddie. That had to be it. "You just said your ex-girlfriend's name, while you're making out with your now-girlfriend?"

"I- I don't know," he stammered, licking his own swollen lips nervously. He sat back into his seat and looked away from Judy. "I mean I've been thinking about everybody, you know. About how they've been coping with everything?"

"You've been thinking about everyone but you said your ex-girlfriend's name? Out of everyone, you said Nancy's name."

"Yeah, I guess I did," he just shrugged, looking tired.

"And you don't see anything wrong with that?" Judy could've cried if she wasn't so angry.

"I didn't even know I said it." He said it so pathetically. Like he didn't want to defend himself. It gave Judy all the reason she needed to believe it wasn't some mistake.

How could he be so cruel?

He knew about Judy's insecurities when it came to what used to be between Nancy and him. He knew that she knew he still cared for Nancy, even after everything.

Maybe he cared for her more than Judy wanted to believe.

With one tear falling from her eye, Judy scoffed as she grabbed her backpack from the floor board and snapped the door handle open, slamming Steve's car door.

He hurried to get out himself, but couldn't find the right words to make her turn back around.

"Am I picking you up tomorrow?" He yelled out to her stupidly, not thinking.

"Don't bother, asshole!" She yelled back, still facing the house in front of her. Judy didn't let another tear fall until she was in the comfort of her own room, in her own bed, hugging her own pillow to her face, muffling the sobs that poured from her throat.