CHAPTER FIFTY TWO

It seemed like the group had walked miles before coming up on something other than silver pipes and black wires

It seemed like the group had walked miles before coming up on something other than silver pipes and black wires. They had just narrowly avoided a mechanical cart with two Russians driving it by ducking behind a power unit.

No one seemed to have taken a single breath before Steve stood up from behind the metal box keeping them guarded.

"Okay, it's clear," he whispered, looking back at Judy and then the two kids behind her. "Let's go."

"That was close," Judy said, looking back down the hallway where the cart was still driving down. "Too close," Dustin added.

"Relax, alright? Nobody saw..."

Steve's words drifted into a steady whisper as he stood firmly in front of his three companions, staring in shock. Judy would've walked right into him if Erica hadn't held onto her hand suddenly. She looked at the small child to find her also starring.

Looking up as well, Judy gawked at what they had just unwittingly walked into.

A bustling hub with dozens of scientists in white lab coats, snarling soldiers and their hefty guns, men in Hazmat suits, all hard at work, going back and forth.

The kids were quick to duck out of sight. They weren't really sure what they just saw, but it didn't take a genius to know that it wasn't safe to just stand there.

"Red Dawn," Dustin whispered, feverishly from Erica's side. Each of them leaned into each other trying to peak back into the hub but also trying to still stay hidden.

"I saw it," she confessed, looking at Judy for reassurance. "First floor, northwest."

"Saw what?" Judy asked, looking back to the direction Erica said.

"The Comms room. The door was open for a second, and I saw a bunch of lights and machines and shit in there."

"That could have been a million other things," Steve said, not convinced.

Judy looked at Steve with a semi-confident look. They had no other options. "I'd take those odds."

Steve could only shake his head and sigh. He knew it just as well as Judy did.

Peaking his head around from their hiding spot, he tried to gauge the distance to the Comms room. "Alright, we're gonna move fast, we're gonna stay low. Okay?"

After receiving a single nod from Judy, Erica and Dustin, Steve went first, leading like a mother goose. They made their way, slow and steady, to a spot across from the Comms room. A scientist excited just before them and Steve motioned for the group to move forward.

He just barely caught the door before it closed all the way and they slipped inside. Judy stood in front of Steve as he attempted to shut the metal door softly. She cringed in fear as the single Russian guard, turned slightly and caught a glimpse of Judy and Erica. He swiftly took off the headphones covering his ears and stood up, stalking in height over the two girls. With a bewildered look in his eyes, he reached for his gun, and Judy reached out to him.