CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR

Without any real perception of time now, Judy could only focus on her heartbeat

Without any real perception of time now, Judy could only focus on her heartbeat. It was going so fast that it seemed to slow down. Everything was slow actually.

The breathe from her lungs, the movement of her eyes and her head. Nothing seemed real anymore. It was all blurry yet crystal clear.

"Honestly, I don't really feel anything," Steve said. "Do you?"

"I mean, I... I feel fine," Judy said, trying to keep her tongue for spilling out of her mouth as she spoke. "I feel normal."

"Me too. I kinda feel good," he laughed.

Judy gasped suddenly, "Wanna know a secret?" she asked with newfound excitement. "I've never been high before."

"No?" Steve was surprised even in his loopy state of mind.

"No," she scoffed in annoyance. "My dad's a cop, he'd kill me."

"Morons," he shook his head. "They messed up the drug."

Steve giggled like a little kid, rolling his head around in funny circles. Judy started to laugh too. "They messed it up! Morons!"

"Morons!"

"Whoa!"

"Oh, no," Judy said, still laughing. "There's definitely something wrong with us."

"Something's wrong!"

Before they could begin to make even bigger fools out of themselves, the general and the doctor came back into the room. As the doctor pulled out some of his tools, Judy said, serious but still high as a kite, "Is now a good time to mention I don't have a good history with doctors and hospitals?"

"Let's try this again, yes?" the guard asked, looking to Steve.

Steve, who was rolling his tongue around while wide-eyed, nodded. He had barely noticed the man peering down at him.

"Who do you work for?"

"Scoops." He giggled. "Scoops Ahoy."

Judy still wheezed, biting her lip, not making a sound. Why was everything so funny?

"How did you find us?"

"Totally by accident." He chuckled again.

The man murmured something in Russian to the doctor, and without another word, the doctor moved toward Steve with one of his tools. A pair of pliers.

"What is that shiny little toy?" Steve asked, not seeming to show any type of hesitation despite the Russian doctor coming closer to him.

"Where you going with that, doc?" Judy asked.

The doctor had placed it on his fingernail, starting to pull at it.

At the sudden pain of attempting to dislodge a fingernail, Steve immediately began to panic. "Whoa, whoa, hey, hey. Wait! No! Wait! Wait! Whoa!"