Twenty Nine

Luke swings his feet, humming quietly and smiling bigger than he's ever smiled before. He tugs at his rainbow genderflux shirt, rolling up the sleeves before adjusting the skirts its tucked into.

Calum tosses an arm around his shoulders carelessly, tugging Luke close and grinning just as much as Luke is, if not more. "Fuck, I love New York!" He yells, leaning over to bump his nose and lips against Luke's cheek. Luke laughs and tugs him closer, swaying slightly on the float they've managed to take residence on top of.

Luke had been invited to the pride parade by a few fans when he'd gone shopping a few days prior. He hadn't really thought about it much until Calum had huffed in annoyance, because he didn't know how to get involved in a pride. Luke suggested New York, Calum had bought plane tickets, and here they are.

Luke supposes they probably should have told Michael and Ashton they were leaving. It wasn't like they were sneaking around, per say, but Luke didn't think they'd want to go. Ashton's not too keen on the queer scene, and Michael's all about protecting him, lately. Besides, Ashton would have just lectured them about how irresponsible and unsafe it is to go to a pride without security measures. So, they left early in the morning, subdued Ashton and Michael via phone on the plane, and landed just in time to register.

The fans Luke had met were thrilled by their presence and put them on a front ledge of their extravagant, cloud shaped float. They were on the top, so Luke couldn't see what they were doing, but he could hear some pretty good music playing from behind them somewhere.

Luke winds his arm around Calum's waist and laughs a little, waving his rainbow flag around with his free hand. His cheeks are flushed and his hair is a mess, but he doesn't even care.

"Hey!" Calum protests, when Luke overextends his flag waving and smacks him in the face. Luke giggles again, while Calum's too happy to even muster up a reprimanding look.

"Be gay!" Luke shouts, smacking him in the face again. Calum starts laughing and Luke starts laughing and they're probably going to fall off their cloud ledge pretty soon.

The pride ends at eight, but the sun is still shining in the sky and adrenaline is pumping through Luke's veins. He doesn't want the night to end, and he knows by the grin on Calum's face that he doesn't either. They accept an invitation to go clubbing with a few of the fans that had offered up their float, stumbling along the busy streets to get to whatever club they were going to. Luke's still got his arm around Calum's waist, and Calum doesn't seem to mind.

The club is filled with people, packed wall to wall, and jumping with heavy music. The bass line thrums through Luke's bones, shaking his core and making his eardrums bounce. His cheeks are instantly flushed with warmth as he snatches up Calum's hand and allows himself to be dragged to the bar. Calum elbows his way through the faces Luke recognizes from pride, trying to get up to the bar without upsetting too many people.

Luke can't hear what he orders, but he trusts Calum not to roofie him, or anything. Calum manages to pull Luke up, pressing against his chest and slipping his fingers under the hem of Luke's skirt easily, making sure to grab his attention. He spreads his fingers out over the back of Luke's thighs and smiles, numbing his nose against Luke's left cheekbone. He cranes his neck, pressing a chaste kiss to Luke's cheek as he goes, until his lips are brushing against Luke's ear.

"Don't get lost, alright?" Calum yells, digging his short fingernails into the skin on Luke's legs. "Stay close!"

Luke nods in agreement. He doesn't even bother trying to reply, his voice would just get lost in the noise, anyway. Calum pulls away, locking his eyes with Luke's for a second, before darting forward and pressing a kiss to his mouth. He pulls back and turns to grab the shots he'd ordered off the bar before Luke can respond. Calum hands the shot over to Luke, making sure not to spill it, then knocks his own small glass against it. He says something that Luke can't hear, grinning wildly, and then downs the shot.