Chapter 11: The Price of Dominion

(sorry for the short chapter.)

Brain and Rin found themselves resigned to their current situation, unable to leave until Eve returned. They both sank down the cement wall of Ludachels confinement, wordlessly watching him sleep.

After a moment of silence, Brain broke the quiet with a whisper, "What happened last night for you to suddenly feel so hostile about Ludachel? I thought we all had a kind of admiration for him since we were young."

Startled by his question, Rin turned to face him, exhaling before responding, "I don't hate him, I just don't know him." She stated until the she noticed the piercing look in Brain's eyes.

Realising his confusion, she continued, "I understand it might seem like I do, but it's true. I used to admire Ludachel, like we all did. But one day, I saw Jax look at him in a way that made me realise... I wanted his attention more than anything."

Brain's breath caught at her revelation. "You... you loved him. That's why you acted that way at the bonfire. You were jealous."

A tear trickled down Rin's cheek as she gazed down, overcome with shame. "I still am. And it's my jealousy that led to this. I wanted to test Jax's reaction, to see if he cared... and now he's gone. It's not Ludachel's fault. It's mine! I had just wanted one night with him where he could see me outside our everyday lives and maybe then he would notice me." Rin struggled to compose herself, wiping away tears furiously.

Brain reached out, pulling her close as he comforted her. "It's not your fault, Rin. I'm sorry for even suggesting it. We all knew the risks, but we couldn't have anticipated the extent of that tragedy." He held her, gently running his fingers through her short pink hair, offering solace.

"Hey look Brain, we can touch each other, I thought that Lady said we couldn't." She chokes out a laugh at the absurdity of what she just said, pulling his hand into hers, feeling his skin's texture.

"I think she just meant we can't touch Ludachel because his soul is in his body where ours is... you know, elsewhere." Rin laughs louder at his words.

"Fuck, I guess this is our new reality Brain, Jax would be losing his shit if he were here." she said sadly.

"Yeah he would... Angels huh?"

"Yeah, Angels, I always thought Gods and angels were what someone made up to explain existence, so they didn't have to feel so alone." she whispered back in awe as they both turned their attention to the young man waking up, "Maybe he is one too."

Ludachel groaned as he hoisted himself into a seated position, the sound of Brain's voice echoing in his ears. Rubbing his sore wrists from the chains, he stood up and shuffled back to the small window, his confinement preventing him from banging on it.

"Ughhhhh, B-Bra...in Is that...yo-u?" His throat still parched, he struggled to form coherent words.
Both Rin and Brain were stunned, shooting to their feet and exchanging cautious looks of confusion. "I thought he couldn't hear us!" Rin whispered suspiciously.

Brain, equally bewildered, shrugged in exasperation. "Don't look at me! I'm just as much in the dark as you are!"

As Ludachel turned at the whispers behind him, his clanking chains adding to the disturbance, he found no one there. His head hung low, heart pounding in his chest as he stood in silence trying to concentrate, while Rin and Brain circled him in bewilderment.

Ludachel sighed, lifting his head unaware of the puzzled expressions on his unseen intruders. "He definitely heard you, Brain. Say something again!"

Just as Brain managed to utter a word, Ludachel's gaze seemed to focus on a point in the air between them, his eyes narrowing as if trying to discern something. Suddenly, with a swift movement, he reached out and grabbed Brain by the neck, pulling him closer until they were face to face. Brain gasped in shock, "Uh, Rin, he's touching me! He can touch me! I think he can see us."