𝟎𝟎𝟒. duels and daunting dynamics

ACT ONE, this godforsaken mess
[ 004 ]  duels and daunting dynamics 

ACT ONE, this godforsaken mess[ 004 ]  duels and daunting dynamics 

september, 1977 !

𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐀 𝐀𝐌𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐔𝐏 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐒 of the morning when the sun was yet to rise and life was still vacant. The blossoming draft that crept across her skin sent a disgruntled shudder down her spine. She was laid flat against her mattress; a cropped grey tee and a pair of loose shorts clinging onto her as she pulled the duvet harder against her cold flesh.

The silence which filled the atmosphere thickly disgruntled the girl, so she turned her body to the side, knees pressing into her stomach as she cradled her limbs into a disclosed ball. Her eyelids lingered open for a few moments, before pressing shut, engulfing the girl into the darkness once more. But when she wasn't met with unconsciousness, sleep denying her request of rest, her mind found itself trailing to her home, and the memories that lay within those walls.

Jumping out of her bed, careful to not wake her roommates — she throws her jumper on and a pair of trousers, and moves along to find her broomstick. She's on the pitch in no time, glad to see no one has woken up early to book the pitch.

It is very often that she would arrive and find Tara Maleek and James Potter, the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor Quidditch Captains arguing like rats, at each other's throats. Astoria only wants to slap their heads off at those times.

She's in the air in no time, hands clutching the broomstick tightly.

During the prolonged summer, she'd spent the majority of her time slowly decaying in the basis of her room. A choice which hadn't been hers to make, leaving her in a repetitive cycle of awakening early to check if they'd finally unlocked the bedroom door. That was if she'd ever slept at all, her eyes sore and bloodshot crimson.

At the memory of the sleepless nights, she lets out a sigh — still in the air with wind blowing in her hair and her bun coming undone.

She did not have any roommates at the orphanage; the others did not like her much and deemed her a freak. So at nights when she could not sleep, she'd often plot schemes about how to escape.

She almost managed actually, only to be caught by the scornful caretaker. After her punishment, she found it hard to shut her eyes. In the same way she was now scared to let go off her grip on the broomstick and fix her hair that was coming loose.

It had taken countless hours for Astoria to even gather the courage to close her eyes after, the psychological wounds of her caretakers still affecting her drastically, and when she did finally seal them, she was met with emptiness. It was a nice change.