Ch.3 - Suspicious?

Sorry for slow updates, I'm kinda busy :[

---•🥛•---

The documents gently falls on the desk as I hung the keys on a hook on the wall.

  I make sure everything's in their usual spot and checked the today's list that the other doorman put up on the wall. Slumping back against the chair, I let out a deep sigh. It's like any other daily shift I had, waiting for the time being. My feet sticks onto the round and I gently sway side to side.

  A few seconds have passed and I'm already getting restless. It's not even a half hour in and it's boring me. But it's always what I expected during this job: Wait and reply. I do a few more sways before doing a full spin, but stop abruptly.

  "Uh hello?" Selenne speaks from the window with a soft look on her face. I flinched a bit when I saw her looking at me, and chuckle awkwardly as I took in her ID and entry form. My pen moves across outlined boxes on my checklist, checking out details needed for her to pass. Seeing her on the list ensures her being the real one, and I let her in.

  Everything is going well already, and I'm sure I'll pass this shift in no time. Though my goal moves further as my eyes widen at a doppelganger.

  I freeze at the sight of an exposed, pulsing brain with eyes, turning in every direction it can. A surge of terror surges through me the moment the eyes lay its full attention onto me. My stomach turns, and a buildup grows within my chest.

  My eyes never left it while I reach out for the emergency button. Once the shudders slid down completely, I grasp onto the phone and spun the wheel on each number, spelling out '3312'. It rings for a moment before it picks up, a voice tells me they're on their way.

  The shudders open back up, revealing an agent in a yellow suit. They start to speak, their voice slightly muffled through their mask.

  "Thank you, you may continue doing your work now." And walked away. I watch them leave, sitting in shock from the doppelganger, trying to recover from it. It punched me in the guts without even trying.

 My body eases when another tenant comes to check in. This time, it's Angus, though looking back at the list, I realize that he's not on there. Looking back at him, I furrow my brows with a disappointed look.

  "Sorry Angus, you're not on today's list." I point out in a slightly sympathetic tone. He raises a brow at me in doubt.

  "Not on today's list? I should be on the list! That can't be right, check again." He objects in a tone of disbelief and crosses his arms. I carefully check the list again. He's not there, and the absence of his image remains. Then, the urge to laugh crosses my mind as I stare at his puzzled confusion.

  Pretty much I can just suspect him as a doppelgänger already from the sight of worms on his face. It's amusing to see clear doppelgangers not even trying with enough effort. And in a moment, I deal with it like I always do.

  A few hours has passed, and there's more doppelgangers than I expected there would be. I had to do further observation on 'normal looking' tenants just to make sure they are one. A bundance of weight grows on my chest and frustration builds. I lean back against the chair and closed my eyes shut, causing a wash of solace. I feel comfortable. A bit too comfortable.

  "Ahem."

  My eyes jolt open and leaned forward as I feel my heart skipped a beat. Seeing Francis in front of the window, I groan loudly and rub my eyes.

  "Sorry, did I scare you?" Francis asks apologeticly in a low and slightly hoarse tone as he tares at me with the usual tired look. I nod slightly and lay my head on my hand while I took the ID and entry request lazily. I glance at him with a hint of attitude in my eyes.