Ch.4 - Sleep Deprivation

Caution warning ✌

//BLOOD/ V10L3NCE

---•🥛•---

  A migraine had hit me as my head has been throbbing for hours now, and my eyes are tired from staring into darkness for so long. Realization crashes into me as I feel a subtle warmth coming from the window with a soft light glowing underneath he curtain. I stayed up the whole night apparently. My voice muffles as I place my pillow over my face.

  "Wake up me, it's another day." I spoke into the pillow. My throat feels dry since I was too lazy to get up to get a glass of water while all I have is a full crate of goddamn milk.

  I went to go shower to refresh myself before brewing myself some good coffee with the milk gift I was given. I bit my tongue for how bitter the coffee I made was, but it's enough to get me going as the caffeine sets in immediately.

  My uniform slides onto my body elegantly and went out after fully dressing up. I felt way better than I was in bed, whistling an upbeat tune while I greet some neighbors in the middle of heading out.

  While I gleefully make my way to the elevator. I see a man in a white button up shirt approaching me in the corner of my eye.

  Fuck ass, it's Fran-cis the milkman. Though I kept walking to try and ignore his existence. He stopped beside the elevator door, letting me get in first before he got in himself. The door closed with a push of a button and we move down. My attention glues onto the elevator walls, still trying to ignore his presence as I shuffle a bit.

  "(Y/n).. What got you happy in the morning?" He asks, sounding deep and raspy, and apparently he was already looking at me when I turn to him.

  "Oh nothing. Just the caffeine." I say, trying to be casual about it. My body is noticeably swinging from side to side, though it's just from excitement.

  "Mmm.. If you say so." He pauses, to gaze at my face and notices something as his brows rises.

  "Other than you being energized, why do you have eyebags?" He asks curiously and leans closer, his face in front of mine staring into my soul. It's a bit creepy honestly, and I feel his warm, soft breath against my face. My nose scrunches a bit and look up and down at him

  "It's nothing. Just yesterday's shift, that's all." I replied and look away. But as I did, a hand is placed on my cheek, forcing me to look back at Francis. His thumb rubs gently against my under eye area. I can't help but blush a bit from his touch. But I pull my head away from his hand, and he didn't bother trying that move again.

  "Hm, guess who needs sleep now?" He says in a bit of a teasy tone. I remembered I told him to get some sleep yesterday, and it made me quite embarrassed recalling it. Letting out a grunt, I give him a look and rolled my eyes.

  "Yeah yeah. But you're the one who gets less than 4 hours of sleep every night." I say spitefully and crossed my arms. And I thought he'll find it atleast disrespectful, yet he laughs softly with a small, stupid grin.

  "Fair enough, but that doesn't mean I pass out in the middle of the day." The way he said it sounded sinister. I shrug off a shiver and scoffed, not wanting to continue talking. He seemed to have taken the hint and didn't say anything else to me but chuckled.

  The ride becomes quiet as the elevator comes to a slow stop and the door opens. He lets me walk out first, following from behind. I sense his presence just beside me as I check out of the building. Taking a glance at him, I can't help but notice the light hitting his face, looking at him in awe  Then the moment he looks at me, I quickly speak ouy to prevent awkwardness.

  "Why are you following me?" I bkurted with a raise brow. He tilts his head a bit to think, eyes locked onto mine.

  "Mmm.. I'm going to work? Gotta pick up some milk first." He replies plainly, though his gaze is saying something but I couldn't make out what. I ignore it either way since he might've been looking at my eyebags. Concerned or something.

  "Well me too. Gotta pick up coffee first." I repeated his words with a sprinkle of sarcasm. It's true though. He hummed in response. "So, do you want some coffee too?" I want to be generous for once after these long days of shifts.

  It's not often that I would offer someone, though he somehow made something spark in me. But as the air lingers in the bundance of chatters and revs, I hear no clear response from him. Turning around, it seemed he has walked across the road a few steps back. I scratch the back of my head when I realized I just spoke to air, though it might be my sleep deprivation, but I'll be fine.

  The usual place comes into view a block ahead. With my first shift nearing, I run down the crosswalk, managing to avoid a car nearly hitting me as the driver honks and babbles at me.

  As I entered the café, the cold air and dimly lit warm light hits my face, the atmosphere calm as always. There's not a lot of people sitting at a few tables since the café just opened, meaning there's no line yet. And also means I can get my coffee in a dash. I walk over to the counter and ordered my drink. The barista nodded after taking my order and walk away to the back. I went to sit at a booth while I wait.

  It's been a few minutes now and I haven't been called yet. I look over my newspaper and noticed the barista isn't even there. My suspicioun and impatience grows as I went over to the counter to check them up.

  Just as I did, the barista popped out from under the counter, or so I thought it's the barista.

  My heart skipped a beat when I saw her grinning from ear to ear.. Literally. Its lower jaw is hanging open with jagged, blooded teeth, while its eyes are bulging out like it's about to pop any moment.

  A person yelled out in the café and the everyone began running out. I was about to run till it grabbed me by my shoulder, its claws sinking deep into my skin. I winced in pain as I try to escape it's grasp, but it only made it dig deeper into my flesh. Fear peaks and I struggle to break free from it's grip.

  I took a metal spoon from the counter and threw straight at its head. It yelped and it lets go of me, giving me a chance to flee out of the café, clutching my bleeding shoulder from the sheer stinging pain. I take a breather and take a look at the wound it caused. Moving my sleeves up, blood trickles down my arm from multiple punctures. I immediately move my sleeve back down to prevent it from flowing out too much.

  In the meantime, group of people in yellow suits walks to my direction and I move away to let them enter the café. After a while, the doppelgänger is dragged out and shoved into the back of the van. I lean against the wall as I saw them drive off, feeling a bit lightheaded.

  "What the fuuuuuuuuu.." I blurt out from whatever just happened. Enough of that, I need to go to work. I can grab coffee elsewhere.

  Though the pain is just as bad as I thought, but I don't have time to treat it right now.

  The moment I arrived at my workplace, the cashier looks at me with a surprised look. I look back at them puzzled.

  "My god?" She blurted in a tone of disbelief.

---•🥛•---

[Words: 1367]